hard starting in the morning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hard starting in the morning

I have a 00 F250 with a 7.3 around 120,000 on it. Beggining this fall when the weather gets cold (under 50) the truck is extremly hard to start. it is ok If I plug it in. This is new this year and my question is are the glow plugs bad or what else should I look at ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 06:10 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should probably start out by getting your GPR checked out. Actually, get each battery LOAD tested individually and then check the GPR.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know it is not the batts I have to try starting it about 20 times before it starts and I have good power throut each cycle. When i'm trying to start it is just pushing out thick white smoke from the exaust like it is loading up. What is the gbr?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Banned

GPR would be glow plug relay. It would be the first thing to check. If it isnt bad, then we may need to test some glow plugs or possibly look at things like injector o rings....
Old 10-14-2006, 07:18 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My truck would turn over fine, several times for 10 seconds at a time some nights last winter.

New batteries and after the load test recommended replacement and voila!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could you tell me how to check the glow plug relay?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

there are two big posts on the relay. One should always be hot(power tested with a test light).....the other should go hot when the key is turned on for 10-60 seconds depending on air temp
Old 12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hard/no starting in the morning

I wish I could answer but my 95 250 7.3 is doing the same. I will say however, to watch your starter and be careful of a burnout. I did not crank for any longer than 25 sec. at a time and in short order, the truck began clicking instead of trying to start...diagnosis-burnt out starter...problem-the truck still won't cold start even with a new starter without heating the block.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't mean to sound like I'm repeating the other post I'm just trying to be clear on an anwser.

First, I wouldn't totally rule out you batteries until you have them load tested, I'm not one to jump at replacing batteries, it's just a good check the basics first.

Second, the smoke is indicating you are getting fuel and if you plug in the block heater and it starts your problem is in the glowplug operation.

Third, the "wait to start" light stays on long enough for the glowplug to get to operating temperature, however, after the light is off, the glowplugs are still powered by the relay for aprox. 2 minutes to assist with cold running operation.

I've been having the same problem as well, the other day I stop at one of the best shops in town and the tech told me "even though the test show the glowplugs to be OK (test light & resistance), changing the glowplugs has fixed a few of the truck they've had in their shop, even his own truck". He went on to say "the smoke indicates fuel & if the block heater helps it almost has to be the glowplugs".

Update on my truck, I changed the glowplugs and now it starts ! ! I had tested everything, batteries, glowplug relay, glowplugs (w/test light & resistance), and fuel pressure. Everything tested good ! ! ! I had the Motorcraft glowplugs (Beru) and I used Motorcraft as the replacements. I don't know why it all tested good and didn't start before, but it starts and runs properly when its cold now.

Hopefully you won't have as much work as I did, but if everything else checks out good on your truck, don't rule out the glowplugs
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 PM

Where should i find my gpr on a 2000 f250. I am having start issues also. Batteries checked ok and i would like to check my relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.