New truck already at the shop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New truck already at the shop

Hello everybody I've read a lot on this forum and feel pretty confident in my new purchase of my 2001 7.3 and Ill try not to write a novel. This is my first diesel truck I purchased a week ago. It has 147k miles and is stock. Truck was bought and was a one owner out of Jacksonville fl. They drove it to greenville sc where I purchased the truck. They did and oil change and seemed a new ac compressor. Everything checked out ( I did the best pre purchase inspection I could with information compiled from the interweb) so I drove the truck home 350 miles no problem and the next day cranked her up idle for 2-3 minutes then off I go. Well so I thought truck had no power RPM's go up and truck very very slowly accelerates got it up to 40 mph in about 1 mile. Engine running smooth and no smoke.( truck never smoked before even when getting on it) pulled over checked under the hood for fluid levels and hoses and such with no findings so I scratched my head for a minute and proceeded to drive home same thing except this time when it got to around 30 mph she gave out. A slow loss of all power until completely stopped then died. Tried to restart and nothing. Turned over at regular speed just no start. Still smooth no jolting or rough running just a quick loss of all power. So called the tow truck and tried to trouble shoot on the side of the road. My dad has a 97 and he had a ac compressor completely lock up on him so I was able to get the belt off and then she cranked right up but was running rough. I let it run maybe 10 sec and shut
It off. Figured I'd get her home and with the ac off and the belt back on she'd run. No dice wouldn't start with belt on. So pop the belt off again and no start. So not having a diagnostic computer and just buying the truck I decided on taking to the shop. Long story short the dealership isn't paying for the fix. So I changed the fuel filter just cuz and was going to start replacing sensors but decided to get it to the shop for a diagnosis rather then replacing things that may not need replacing. So I'm thinking uvhc, cps,ips, or fuel pump because the fuel pump seems to be making a noise that I didn't recall before and the filter was dirtier than I would have thought. Oil levels are on point and hpop has oil. But I don't have a means of checking pressures. So how much should a shop charge just to tell me what's wrong. I'm new to this area and the dealership has a bad rap. I'm a paramedic and this shop does all are trucks maintenance and has a good rep. Just don't want to get taken to the cleaners when im mechanically inclined just don't have some of the fancy tools. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help y'all
I attached a pic of the bowl sorry didnt get one of the filter. Should it have this much sediment(****) in there.
Attached Thumbnails
New truck already at the shop-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
welcome to the board, not sure on the sediment, but did you put a new filter in there/try to clean it when you had it opened?

any codes?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, yes I took the heater out and cleaned it out and replaced filter. I read that some people take the middle plastic piece out of the plastic stem to increase fuel flow. Would this be a mod that I would benefit from with the truck being all stock?
I don't have a means of seeing if it is throwing any codes. I'm going to call the shop today to see if they have got a chance to look at it.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hutch mod...I think an AE is in order here, bud. For what the stealerships' gonna hit you for, you might as well purchase the scanner.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do I really need an AE? I was looking into the edge insight. I know some can pull codes and delete them but not actually be used as a diagnostic tool. I know real gauges are the best way to monitor but I like the look and being able to hook a camera up to insight. I just don't want to get a good scanner and not being able to use it the way it should be.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was a bad fuel pump. New one installed and back on the road. Started getting my parts together for hutch and harpoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.