SES light on, getting code P1316 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SES light on, getting code P1316

I bought a 2001 F350 7.3 6 speed a couple months back with 211k, now at 218k, and it's run great up until yesterday. I was towing a 10k? trailer, and everything felt fine, and all of a sudden, whenever I hit a hill, the SES light would flicker on and the engine would sound like it was missing. It would go away as soon as I topped the hill. This happened a couple of times, and then the light stayed on after the hill. I stopped in the next town, 12 miles from where the problem first came up. Starting from a stop was a real challenge, like I had now power. Starting from a stop up any kind of hill required low gear. I pulled up at a carquest, the engine was idling real rough, and then died like the key was turned and wouldn't restart. I borrowed a scanner from the carquest, but couldn't figure out how to make it talk to the truck so I went ahead and replaced the CPS. After this, the truck started fine, but all the other problems were still present. I started playing around with the scanner more and got it to work, and it returned code p1316. I tried clearing the codes, and that did nothing. Next I found a mechanic with a genesis scanner, and he pulled a code for the accelerator position sensor. I replaced that, and it didn't seem to make any difference. I've tried disconnecting the batteries to reset the computer, and I've plugged in a basic scan tool I had at home, which found no codes present, despite the fact that the SES light is on. I tried clearing codes with the scanner, the SES light flickers but stays on, and the scanner says the erase failed. The engine starts great, but runs rough up to about 1500 rpms. The truck has low power, starting out in low is almost required with the trailer on behind, and hills I should be able to pull at 65 are now 45 mph. Where should I check next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need a good scanner that can read live data, and not just pull codes.
You may have low high-pressure-oil pressure, low low-pressure-oil pressure, low fuel pressure, low boost, stuck exhaust back pressure valve, and so on.

But usually a P1316 is either InjectorDriverModule (IDM) issue, or wiring issue with your UnderValveCoverHarness, both of which supply power to the injcetors. I'd check the harness connections just outside the valve covers first, easy fix.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 AM

I checked the UVCH plugs, both were in tight. I unplugged them, blew them off and made sure that they were in good and tight, and it didn't make a difference. I tried unplugging them while the truck was running, both made the truck idle worse, but unplugging the passenger side had more of an effect than the drivers side. I'm going to try running the driver side pins with my meter.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 AM

I think I found the problem- checking resistance to the center pin on the drivers side VCGH, one pin read 0 ohm. The other three read 2.9-3.1
Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM

IIRC there are nine pins on there.
(GP) (GP) (Inj) (Inj) (Ground) (Inj) (Inj) (GP) (GP)
So center will be zero ohms.
99-03 7.3 engine wiring harness diagram... Every 7.3 owner should have...
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Right, I read from the center ground to each of the injector pins, and the pin directly behind the ground read zero ohms, the other three read roughly 3 ohms.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 PM

Oh gotcha. If it was 0 ohms, that means it was grounded out. I'd check the harness under the valve cover, or do a buzz and cylinder contribution test first.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 PM

The buzz test is what I asked the mechanic to run yesterday, and then he found that TPS code, and said that was the problem. I'll pull off the valve cover and see if I can find the problem.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM

If he over ruled you and didn't run the buzz test, I wouldn't take it back.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 PM

I got the valve covers off, here's what I found:
Does the center ground pin look burnt?
Harness side:

Gasket side:

Wire running to the injector that was running 0 ohms:

I've got the new gasket/harness, as soon as the rain lets up I'm going to go get everything back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.