02 7.3L - burns oil/loss of power/more smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 235
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
02 7.3L - burns oil/loss of power/more smoke

My 02 F350 7.3L has 170,000 miles on it, and was getting oil in the fuel back in the winter/early spring. I pulled the injectors and replaced all of the O-rings (3 injectors had some pretty bad O-rings) about 2 months ago. Im still burning oil, smoking more than usual, and I seem to notice a loss in power on the low end.

I towed my in-laws 27' bumper-pull camping trailer and noticed that just accelerating and driving with just a slight load makes the truck smoke (dual exhaust, can see the smoke against the white trailer). It seems like driving without towing, its a little slow off the line and once it hits 2nd gear its fine.

Specs on the truck:
7.3L 170,000 miles
DP tuner
AFE stage 2 intake
MBRP exhaust
ATS transmission
38" tires, 4.56 gears

Problems:
Burning oil
more smoke than normal
loss of power on the low end

What Ive done:
Injector O-rings

Any ideas as to where I can look to help take care of my issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 235
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As a bit of an update, I checked the fuel bowl and there are no longer any visible signs of oil in the fuel. Before I did the injector O-rings, the fuel was dark, and you could see tiny oil droplets. Its all clean now.

So, the oil is going somewhere else...turbo? The exhaust does smell like oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Defiance
Posts: 3,985
Thanks: 268
Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not necessarily the turbo. Could of pinched a new O-ring upon installation. Injector may not have seated all the way during torquing them down, or possibly a bad injector.

Do a buzz test, then CCT. If those pass then start the truck, let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute, then remove the downpipe and look for fresh oil in the turbo and the intake pipes too. Some oil on the intake side will be normal dye to the CCV, unless you have it routed different. It will definitely be more obvious if its oil coming from the injectors or turbo. Typically its going to be an injector issue. But not always.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 235
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
thanks for the response, I appreciate the suggestions. what's the buzz test, and also CCT?



Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Not necessarily the turbo. Could of pinched a new O-ring upon installation. Injector may not have seated all the way during torquing them down, or possibly a bad injector.

Do a buzz test, then CCT. If those pass then start the truck, let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute, then remove the downpipe and look for fresh oil in the turbo and the intake pipes too. Some oil on the intake side will be normal dye to the CCV, unless you have it routed different. It will definitely be more obvious if its oil coming from the injectors or turbo. Typically its going to be an injector issue. But not always.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Defiance
Posts: 3,985
Thanks: 268
Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavis View Post
thanks for the response, I appreciate the suggestions. what's the buzz test, and also CCT?
Buzz test will excite the solenoids on the injectors when engine is not running. Do a YouTube search and you'll understand.

CCT is a Cylinder Contribution Test. Kind of self explanatory I guess. You will have to have someone with the proper diagnostic tools to do these. Dealers have it or someone you know that has the more expensive ScanGauge or AutoEnginuity software. A simple code reader will not work at autozone etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 235
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Buzz test will excite the solenoids on the injectors when engine is not running. Do a YouTube search and you'll understand.

CCT is a Cylinder Contribution Test. Kind of self explanatory I guess. You will have to have someone with the proper diagnostic tools to do these. Dealers have it or someone you know that has the more expensive ScanGauge or AutoEnginuity software. A simple code reader will not work at autozone etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Perfect. Thanks for the info!

I need to do the International up-pipes anyway, so I may just replace the seals and rebuild the turbo anyway while its off since the kit is only about $75.

Ill try the other stuff too. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eagle,MI
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I replaced an injector and I somehow damaged an o-ring when I did it. I was even going to skip that cylinder when I was replacing them. Good thing I did. Mine was consuming a LOT of oil!!! Food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors