Have a concern. need help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have a concern. need help!!

hi everyone. i have a 7.3 powerstroke. lariat. 4x4. ECSB. truck only has 100k miles.

Ok i have a question. i am sure i am just over thinking this but would like to just be sure.

my truck for performance mods has a 4" diamond eye turbo back straight pipe exhaust, cold air intake (no name brand, previous owner put on) want to put on the 6637 filter. and also it has a edge 120hp? evolution CTS programmer. coming shortly i am hoping i can have someone write me some custom tunes to put on my evolution as i do like the gauges it comes with.

ok a little background info. i tow 4-5000lb trailer on a daily basis, and even when not towing i daily drive the truck on the TOW TUNE, which i believe is a 30hp? occasionaly i run the street tune which i believe is 80hp, and ive only used the 120hp setting one time. running that setting finished off the donuts on the up pipe, causing a leak. i did replace them, and man what a lot of work for something so small.

so my concern is, either on the tow tune or street tune it seems when i roll into the throttle it starts pulling good but once i get up to say, i dont know, around 40ish or 50ish mph and the boost is at about 22-24 psi it just doesnt seem to pull as hard. say i roll into the throttle rather aggressively until about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and as soon as i get to 22-24ish lbs of boost, my boost gauge starts blinking red (as i have an alert on my edge to start blinking at that psi) and if i continue to push the throttle down to the floor from being at 3/4 throttle it doesnt seem to make any difference in acceleration/performance. almost like the last 1/4ish throttle is non existent.

i know these trucks defuel around those boost numbers, but i dont get any check engine lights like i read that i should get when it defuels.

i just had the donut on the up pipe replaced as it was leaking, and i have a pin sized leak in the manifold.

any help on this is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post.

thanks in advance.
mike

Last edited by deezl250; 07-16-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my 1st thought is leak. With a tiny manifold leak, i'd get it fixed. Also, with no "defueling" ses light, i'd then suspect your hpop just cant keep up with the demand that the trucks' calling for. Anyway of watching hpop psi when in wot?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Since you have canned tunes, your ses light is probably overboost. On a stock truck you wont see over that 24lbs of boost. Probably goes away when you let off the pedal right? Custom tunes will fix that along with defueling issues.

Your "no difference in throttle from 3/4-wot" is when the ses light is on? If so, the pcm won't let it get more fuel because of that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezl250 View Post
i know these trucks defuel around those boost numbers, but i dont get any check engine lights like i read that i should get when it defuels.

mike
Huc.......
Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Huc.......
It was 5am and I didn't have my coffee yet. Lol

Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

timmyboy, and huc thanks for the quick responses.

i still dont understand why my hpop couldnt keep up with only these 30-80hp tunes, i mean the 120+hp i can understand it not keeping up with. to me it just seems these tunes are on the lower side for my hpop to be slacking. not doubting you, just hoping that isnt the case.

huc, its ok ive been there before. im not a morning person either. haha

so back to the possibility of defueling. if it defuels, will it ALWAYS throw a check engine light, because to my knowledge i have not seen the CEL come on. would it be stored as a soft code maybe instead?

and so the only way to keep it from defueling(which i have a feeling its doing) is to get new tunes? or boost fooler i would imagine? i read somewhere that one of the vendors on here writes tunes for the edge programmers? truth? I Think i read it was the dp tuner guy?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:

so back to the possibility of defueling. if it defuels, will it ALWAYS throw a check engine light, because to my knowledge i have not seen the CEL come on. would it be stored as a soft code maybe instead?

It is possible that your edge will let the pcm still throw a soft code and not tell the pcm to light up the CEL.

and so the only way to keep it from defueling(which i have a feeling its doing) is to get new tunes? or boost fooler i would imagine?

I believe so either one would work. Ideally custom tunes would be better than the fooler.

i read somewhere that one of the vendors on here writes tunes for the edge programmers? truth? I Think i read it was the dp tuner guy?

I don't know if Jody at DP Tuner does or not. Bill at PHP used to support new customers for edge custom tunes but not anymore. He still offers support for current customers, just not new ones. That being said, if you can get ahold of him, Bill will without a doubt, have the answer your looking for. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but at least I hope to get you to the resources to get your answers.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:16 PM

Sounds like defuel to me.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I called Jody. Left a message. Hopefully he will get back to me. So is there any other way for me to get custom tunes? If he can't write me some I'm screwed I guess because I'd rather not go buy another programmer.

Yikess. I hope he can help me out.

Thanks for the help so far.

Mike
Old 07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
I called Jody. Left a message. Hopefully he will get back to me. So is there any other way for me to get custom tunes? If he can't write me some I'm screwed I guess because I'd rather not go buy another programmer.

Yikess. I hope he can help me out.

Thanks for the help so far.

Mike
Matt and Larz at Gearhead may be able to help you out too. I just don't know for sure. It wouldn't hurt to call.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.