Fuel Rail or Fuel Bowl Losing Prime - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Rail or Fuel Bowl Losing Prime

Hello...newbie here!

I have recently replaced the fuel lift pump on my 99 F350 7.3L. Shortly after replacing it, I began to hear knocking in the injectors. For some reason, the fuel system was taking on air. To rule out the possibility of a leak in the fuel line(s) or connections, I ran a direct 3/8 inch fuel line from the tank to the pump and another one from the pump to the fuel bowl. I started the engine, it idled fine for a minute, the knocking sound came back and even stronger, and the engine stalled.

I'm guessing the fuel rail or fuel bowl lost its prime. I turned the fuel bowl's pressure release valve and turned the key. Fuel did begin to spill out, so I'm guessing the air has been purged from the fuel bowl. If that is the case, is it likely for the fuel rail to have lost its prime? If so, how to I prime it?

When I crank the engine, it appears to want to start but doesn't quite make it. There is some combustion occurring but probably lacking enough fuel to start the engine.

Thanks in advance for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you would have ran a fuel line from a jerry can to pump, the problem would probably have gone away. These trucks have a habit of plugging up in the sending unit. There's a mixing chamber/filter, that oertime, will clog. The fix is, the Hutch Mod....

To purge the system is no more then letting the truck idle and allowing the air to pass thru the injectors.

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
if you would have ran a fuel line from a jerry can to pump, the problem would probably have gone away. These trucks have a habit of plugging up in the sending unit. There's a mixing chamber/filter, that oertime, will clog. The fix is, the Hutch Mod....

To purge the system is no more then letting the truck idle and allowing the air to pass thru the injectors.

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
I have already taken care of the plugged up sending unit issue. Several years ago, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the tank, epoxied a flange with an elbow and barbed connection, plugged up the feed line from the sending unit, and solved the problem. The line to the pump is coming directly from this barbed connection.

Fuel is making it to the fuel bowl.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 PM

alright...got a f/p psi reading? I think if you let idle or run it for a few miles, it'll be fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would love to get the engine to idle. I can't even get it to start.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you changed the fuel filter? Since your drawing fuel straight from the bottom of the tank your going to pick all the dirt/debris in your fuel. Drawing from the top a lot of dirt will settle in the tank and never get drawn in. Checked oil level? If so, you really need a fuel pressure gauge. Where did you get the new fuel pump, Autozone or something? Companies like them tend to have bad parts out of the box, i.e. alternators, water pumps, power steering pumps, etc.

When you just turn the key but not start, open the yellow handled valve and it will piss out very hard. Your F/P needs to be close to 55-65. I believe 58 is normal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Have you changed the fuel filter? Since your drawing fuel straight from the bottom of the tank your going to pick all the dirt/debris in your fuel. Drawing from the top a lot of dirt will settle in the tank and never get drawn in. Checked oil level? If so, you really need a fuel pressure gauge. Where did you get the new fuel pump, Autozone or something? Companies like them tend to have bad parts out of the box, i.e. alternators, water pumps, power steering pumps, etc.

When you just turn the key but not start, open the yellow handled valve and it will piss out very hard. Your F/P needs to be close to 55-65. I believe 58 is normal.

My last fuel filter change was a while ago, so I will do that this morning to rule the filter out as a cause. I will also check the oil level.

I did try turning the yellow valve...and yes, it did piss out fuel. I am convinced that the fuel bowl is holding pressure. After I rule out the filter and oil level, I will check the pressure.

I purchased the pump online from AM Autoparts.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 AM

you ca nrig up a f/p piece. Harbor freight will have the liquid filled gauge. Hit up home depot for a 1/8npt barb to attach to gauge and a 3ft piece of 3/8in hose, to connect to fuel drain tube. Hose clamp it on, and turn on fuel pump..(with yellow lever open).
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: I checked the oil level and it was OK. I replaced the fuel filter as well. The fuel filter was pretty dirty; and I thought it would solve the problem, but it didn't.

I have an oil pressure gauge that reads well within the range for what the fuel pressure would be. I'm going to tee into the fuel line, open the yellow valve, turn the pump on, and get a pressure reading.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
Update: I checked the oil level and it was OK. I replaced the fuel filter as well. The fuel filter was pretty dirty; and I thought it would solve the problem, but it didn't.

I have an oil pressure gauge that reads well within the range for what the fuel pressure would be. I'm going to tee into the fuel line, open the yellow valve, turn the pump on, and get a pressure reading.
That won't work it you tee into the line and open the yellow valve. Your gauge will only read a few lbs. Keep the valve closed or just hook your gauge where the rubber hose connects to the drain valve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.