Motor misfire/running rough/power loss... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motor misfire/running rough/power loss...

So, I've had my '01 excursion 2 months now. I've put about 1200 trouble free miles on it, until the past couple week when it started acting funky. I first noticed it when i was cruising on the freeway, about 65-68 is where i generally set the cruise. Suddenly, it felt like my speed was ever so slightly, and the engine noise changed like the rev's were jumping but there was no noticeable change on the tach. It went away after a few minutes.
2-3 Days ago, I was driving around, and the truck started running pretty rough, like it had a misfire. It went away after driving a couple city miles (a few stop lights, slow driving under 35mph.).
Yesterday, I took it on a 25 mile drive, and the same thing as above, but for the majority of the drive on the freeway, it was sluggish, the cabin was vibrating, and power, especially uphill, was non-existent.
I parked the truck, and started looking on here, sounded like it could be IDM or UVCH.

I attemped to remove the driver's side UVCH outer plug while running. The truck actually started great this morning. When i pulled the driver's side plug,rpms dropped and got real lumpy. As soon as i put the plug back in, it ran rough, just like the symptoms above. I turned the truck off, while i could figure out how to unplug the passenger side without removing anything. But as soon, as i turned the truck back on, it ran like crap. RPMS jumping, blowing smoke, and i turned it right off. I made sure the driver's side UVCH plug was tight/secure, and that nothing else had come loose. I started the truck, and same thing (this time i had the camera handy).

Help!! I should also mention that have been check engine lights since any of this began.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM

Am i barking up the wrong tree here?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's pretty bad sounding. My guess would be injector related issue, like the harness shorting out for the injectors. See what the code says first.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 PM

Just had a "mobile mechanic" come over to diagnose the issue...Unfortunately he couldn't do a buzz test, all he could tell me was the code for my throttle position sensor and the P1615 code was coming up. Kept trying to sell me on a IDM and $250 install charge, but I wanted to get a buzz test done.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 AM

What's the significance of replacing the pigtail? I ordered the uvch, pigtails, gaskets, new hotter glowplugs, and a swamps upgraded IDM.

Is there a diy instruction page around for removing the valve covers and/or replacing the uvch?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like you knocked the connector loose from UNDER the harness. Remove the vc's and do the 50 cent mod. Also, your first symptoms sound fuel related....look up HUTCH mod.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Skipped the hutch mod and ended up doing new harnesses/gaskets/pigtails.
Idle is still choppy and truck runs like poo poo. Buzz test revealed #4 and #8 injectors possibly bad. Not sure if that's an IDM related problem or my injectors are genuinely bad. Swamps diesel idm coming on thurs so I guess I will find out soon.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just replaced my valve cover gasket/harnesses due to a horrible miss. 277,500 miles. Had to change the pigtail due to not using an OEM gasket! Took some time but 1/3 of the cost of OEM. I had one shop tell me the injectors were/are built to last as long as the motor, but the o-rings will go before the injectors.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustrocket View Post
Skipped the hutch mod and ended up doing new harnesses/gaskets/pigtails.
Idle is still choppy and truck runs like poo poo. Buzz test revealed #4 and #8 injectors possibly bad. Not sure if that's an IDM related problem or my injectors are genuinely bad. Swamps diesel idm coming on thurs so I guess I will find out soon.
Did you actually witness the buzz test? It will be obvious whether they are bad or not. Sometimes injectors may not last long at all. It just depends on how well you maintain the oil. And you really should be using fuel additive as the 7.3 was built at a time when ulsd and biodiesel blends were not even being made for mainstream fuel stations. So our trucks do need some type of extra lubricity (sulfur) to get the longevity out of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Did you actually witness the buzz test? It will be obvious whether they are bad or not. Sometimes injectors may not last long at all. It just depends on how well you maintain the oil. And you really should be using fuel additive as the 7.3 was built at a time when ulsd and biodiesel blends were not even being made for mainstream fuel stations. So our trucks do need some type of extra lubricity (sulfur) to get the longevity out of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Do you have a recommended fuel additive for the 7.3?

I did not witness the buzz test. I was supposed to meet my mechanic to watch it all, but i had a plane delay and missed him all together.

I installed the Swamps IDM last weekend and the Excursion is running great now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.