7.3 Running Rough Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Running Rough Problem

Okay I have a 1999 7.3 just installed TE T500 HPOP and Garret GTP38R with WW2. Truck ran fine drove it for 2 weeks then found fuel leaking the fuel lines on the cylinder heads. They were cracked installed new lines from ford torqued them down correctly no fuel leaks now and now the truck is missing when started up the truck lopes for about 40 seconds before it idles and when it does sounds like its missing real bad. no DTC codes and doesn't idle when cold and when warm it only idles on stage 3 ( 140 DP Tune ) stage 1 stock and stage 2 80 tow it wants to dies has no power at all and it white smokes only when cold. Please Help like I said no DTC's. thanks in advance the truck is going to Ford on monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Check the Injector harness that runs into the valve cover, especially the passenger side one.

The passenger fuel line runs right near that connector and I wouldn't be surprised if its been bumped loose.

Check anything else in the area just in case too. I've heard major horror stories about mechanics not paying enough attention because of their hurry under the hoods of these thins.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:02 PM

Checked The injector harness on both sides making good contact and same thing.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

You took off the valve covers in 13 minutes?

It's more likely that the inside one has come loose, mine ohm'd fine. But the passenger side was nearly out on the inside. And had very similar symptoms.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:02 PM

I had the valve covers off already. Connectors were full seated Left Hand VC and Right Hand VC and same thing.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

Okay fair enough.

I would wonder if that aftermarket HPOP is no good. Have you got a way to check HPOP pressure? I know the T500 is great I plan to get one myself, just saying its possible.

Could also unplug the ICP and see if it gets better or worse.

On a side note, my truck runs like absolute garbage if the oil level is down even just a bit. It's worth the check to pull the dipstick if you haven't already.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Either with a manual gauge (that can do 3500 psi most people don't have that).

Or with a fancy scan tool.

Most of my ideas will revolve around a scan tool. About the only other suggestion I could make is remove the DP and see what happens. If the connection got crappy it can cause weird issues, I forget what exactly though.

You may have to grab some lube before Monday if you don't have access to a scan tool that can do our trucks.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:23 AM

Pulled ICP plug no change how could I check HPOP pressure like I said only started missing after I changed the fuel lines on the heads torqued them down correctly no leaking fuel whatsoever no cracks or bends in the lines oil was just changed when the TE T500 was installed 200 miles ago and the GTP38R was installed no leaking oil whatsoever Thanks for your help @schlutzer for replying to the thread and helping me out I really appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Man 6.4 View Post
Pulled ICP plug no change how could I check HPOP pressure like I said only started missing after I changed the fuel lines on the heads torqued them down correctly no leaking fuel whatsoever no cracks or bends in the lines oil was just changed when the TE T500 was installed 200 miles ago and the GTP38R was installed no leaking oil whatsoever Thanks for your help @schlutzer for replying to the thread and helping me out I really appreciate it.

schlutzer took the 7.3 to ford on Monday just found out whats wrong with it yesterday well. Here we go all (8) injectors tested bad UVCH pins were burnt Driver And passenger side so have to change that also Valve Cover Gaskets have to change fan belt ( I knew that ) was about to change it 3900.00 for the injectors 60.00 for the gaskets 200.00 for the UVCH both sides and 1500.00 labor. and misc parts for a total around $4200. Ford waiting on me now big dent in my wallet but still gotta love ford.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Either with a manual gauge (that can do 3500 psi most people don't have that).

Or with a fancy scan tool.

Most of my ideas will revolve around a scan tool. About the only other suggestion I could make is remove the DP and see what happens. If the connection got crappy it can cause weird issues, I forget what exactly though.

You may have to grab some lube before Monday if you don't have access to a scan tool that can do our trucks.
:Update

Schlutzer Decided to go with Swamps injectors 160/100% Stage 2 Single Shots

Other parts ordered:
Airdog 100 quick connect

Beans diesel tank sump kit

Swamp's diesel HVHF IDM

GlowShift Pyro Boost Trans

:Current Mods:

GTP38R W/ WW2

EBPV Delete Pedestal

DP F5 stock, 80 Tow 140 Aggressive

4in MBRP TB Exhaust

6637 Intake

TE T-500 HPOP

All the parts ordered will be here by next week Tuesday and installed on Thursday and the truck should be back on the road by Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.