Low power with warm engine on cold day - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low power with warm engine on cold day

I have a problem with my 2000 F350 7.3L. This has been going on for a few winters now and it just happened again this morning so I'm finally posting about it. I had it in to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong and couldn't duplicate the problem. Anyway, the problem is that probably 4-5 times per winter (I know it's not winter yet but it's 30 and snowing here in Colorado), I let the truck warm up and when I take off it will have very little power. It goes maybe 20 MPH with low RPMs. Pushing the accellarator harder does not get the RPMs up. If I pull over and put in park for a couple of seconds and then take off again, it runs fine. This works everytime. It might even work without putting it into park but I stumbled across that so that's what I do. It's not a big problem because it's easy to get around it but I'm curious if anyone has an ideas on what might be causing it. Thanks.

Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 09:47 AM

Sorry I can not be of more help. But it could be a temperature sensor that is acting up. I live in colorado as well and on cold days I let mine warm up for 15 min. Laster year in January when we had those really cold days that made record lows I would plug it in and then I would even start it about an hour before I had to leave.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

tough to say for sure, but my best guess would be a sticking sensor in the pedal assembly, a sticking oil temp sensor, or possibly something with the high pressure oil system or injectors....

Honestly this could be a very difficult one to figure out though......
Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I figured it wouldn't be easy. They don't get much more intermittent than this one. At least it's easy to correct when it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.