Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Low power with warm engine on cold day

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  itsme 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my 2000 F350 7.3L. This has been going on for a few winters now and it just happened again this morning so I'm finally posting about it. I had it in to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong and couldn't duplicate the problem. Anyway, the problem is that probably 4-5 times per winter (I know it's not winter yet but it's 30 and snowing here in Colorado), I let the truck warm up and when I take off it will have very little power. It goes maybe 20 MPH with low RPMs. Pushing the accellarator harder does not get the RPMs up. If I pull over and put in park for a couple of seconds and then take off again, it runs fine. This works everytime. It might even work without putting it into park but I stumbled across that so that's what I do. It's not a big problem because it's easy to get around it but I'm curious if anyone has an ideas on what might be causing it. Thanks.

Randy

#2 ·
Sorry I can not be of more help. But it could be a temperature sensor that is acting up. I live in colorado as well and on cold days I let mine warm up for 15 min. Laster year in January when we had those really cold days that made record lows I would plug it in and then I would even start it about an hour before I had to leave.

#3 ·
tough to say for sure, but my best guess would be a sticking sensor in the pedal assembly, a sticking oil temp sensor, or possibly something with the high pressure oil system or injectors....

Honestly this could be a very difficult one to figure out though......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.