Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Coolant Leak on Decline

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Joe0816 
#1 ·
My 01 leaks coolant on declines but not any on inclines, or a noticable amount. My driveway is on a decline on the turn around after about 2 hours, there is a puddle about 10" diameter. Fast dripping. I put it backwards, now an incline, and no dripping. Any thoughts? thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! What's a weap hole and then why wouldn't it leak on decline? Or could it just be a leak in the front of the pump? Is there a way to test it? I drove it 2 hours a few days ago without overheating

#4 ·
Does anyone know how to diagnose this other then adding die?

#5 ·
If it leaks steadily on decline why don't you park on decline get a mirror and a flashlight and follow leak to its source? No need for dies and doo dads!

#6 ·
All u can see is it dripping off behind the crank pulley

#9 ·
Weep hole is just a tattle tale for your waterpump seal. All you can do is replace waterpump before it becomes a major issue. I just bought one from dieselsite.com for mine haven't installed yet but there are quite a few right ups on how to do it. Here's a link to dieselsite: http://www.dieselsite.com/1996-2003ford73lnewwaterpump.aspx

#10 ·
Thanks looks like I'm going to be replacing the water pump!

#11 ·
Well for anyone interested, I replaced the water pump a while back and the leak has stopped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.