2002 F350 7.3 Won't Start After Running Low - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 F350 7.3 Won't Start After Running Low

I started her in the morning and realized she was low on fuel so I turned her off. I put 10 gallons in and she still won't start. I assumed that air got into the system so I removed the fuel filter cap and poured clean diesel with no air bubbles. However, she still won't start. She cranks and cranks but there is no start. I've charged the batteries several times to make sure they weren't giving out on me.

I have run out of ideas. Any thoughts or suggestions? Can I provide any more information? Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

I inherited this truck from my father who passed away recently. He always kept it running well. He maintained it daily and started it at least once a day to keep it in shape. I'm not well versed in engines and especially not diesel engines. What little I know I've tried. We don't really have any kind of money to consult a mechanic, so you all are really my only resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My usual No Start -

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test
Old 06-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
My usual No Start -

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test
You sir, have saved me a ton of money.

I made sure to the light turned off but I would also wait until I heard the pump stop for extra measure. I took your advice and emptied the fuel filter and turned the key to the ON position where the fuel pump should have refilled the filter, but it didn't. A friend and I took a look at it and turns out that the little motor inside the fuel pump was working but it wasn't pumping any fuel. We bought a replacement, installed it, and she started up! She needed a little help at first so we sprayed a little starter fluid into the air filter and she fired up and stayed on!

I seriously can't thank you enough. And just to answer the question, the truck IS chipped. Thank you, again!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Never ever ever use starting fluid, it will destroy your engine. Just do a search and you'll see why. Glad you got it going though, mine did this about 3 months ago. What caused mine was the pick up foot in tank fell apart got sucked into fuel pump and that's all she wrote. Realized this when I took old pump and shook it and small pieces of plastic fell out. Removed tank and cleaned the rest out, then went to guzzles site Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Pages did hutch and harpoon mods. Also built the fuel system he has on there, truck has been great since and mods where all well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.