Idle's Rough, Runs rough, No power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Idle's Rough, Runs rough, No power

Hi everyone

I have a 99 7.3, it is in a f450. I just spent $ 4300.00 dollars on this truck. Oil pan was leaking and had a noise (bad bearing in transmission) manual 6 speed. So I took it in to have these problems repaired and also a complete service including brake system. Thought I was getting it in shape for winter or was considering trading for new in a few months. After the repair bill I had to keep it.

Just after I got the truck back (1st or 2nd day) the motor seemed to quit after leaving the highway. I had droiven 200 miles, It may not have quit, maybe just lost all power as all the gages read fine. I could not pull over where I was so I left the clutch ingaged hoping it would restart, it regained power in about 20 seconds. It worked fine for three or 4 days then while on the highway passing traffic it did the same thing. Only it took about a minute or more before regaining power.
I thought it was bad fuel so I changed the fule and air filter. Even though it was suppose to be a complete service it did not look like the air filter was changed. I also added some diesel conditioner and topped off the tank. It was fine for a week or so then on ocasion it would lose power for 1, 2 or 3 minutes. Also each time the check engine light would come on.
Friday when leaving a job it started and ran fine for about 1 mile then lost all power and ran rough. This was the worst power loss I think yet. I stopped let it idle for 3 or so minutes, it idled very rough. Shut it of and let it sit then started it again (started hard) still missing. Reved it to 2000 it seemed eventually to get a little better. I then proceeded (very hard to get going from stop) and drove along the highway at 20 miles an hour. all gages read fine, check engine lite was on. After about 20 min it took hold worked well and engine lite went off. Worked well all the way home, next morning it started hard and run very rough, had no power. And so it sits in my yard.

Changed the cam sensor as I had the quiting problem before and relly hoped this was it even though it did not quit.
I stpped to get the code Friday on the way home, truck was working well at the time, and no code was picked up.
I know it should have stored a code but this is the same place I have gone in the past for codes and they picked them up fine. Truck has 250000 on it.

I am very sorry for the long post, just hoping if I give good information someone can help. Really need the truck.

Thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 01:51 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Initially I was going to say CPS, but you've changed that. The problem is not constant, it is likely another sensor. Too bad you can't pull any codes, but go somewhere else and try to get it scanned. Without a code (if the ses light illuminates then there is a code being set).

ICP sensor would be another sensor that does quirky stuff. To get help looking for it, check on the "sensor locations" in the Tech Forum. I'm sure Marc will be on later and help some more.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:52 PM
International Threat

But, on a better note, a 99 with 250K... that makes me smile
Old 10-03-2006, 02:04 PM
International Threat

Here is the link to the sensors...

99-03 7.3l engine sensor locations
Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Banned

first thing i would do is get the valve covers off of it and look at the connectors on the inside of the valve cover that actually goes to the vavle cover. There is a chance that it is starting to come disconnected and is causing your problem. If it is, it will eventually come disconnected enough it wont go back to running right. Since removing the valve covers doesnt cost anything, this is a good place to start
Old 10-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank's Maintain
I will check the link.

Thank's Marc
I will do that tomorrow and let you know how I make out.

Thank's to you both.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:07 PM
International Threat

Marc, I was thinking injectors, or a wiring harness connections, but figured since it was revolving from running crappy to ok that a sensor going bad was more likely the culprit. Since you didn't mention anything about what I said I was wondering (since you're the ford tech) if I was way the heck off, or you were adding to my info?

If I remember correctly you can disconnect the sensor, the pcm will default to acceptable readings and if it runs ok w/ it disconnected then you've possibly found your problem. It'd be another free test
Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned

your info was a possiblility, however it would be more likely to be a sticking IPR than a bad ICP....but both are possbile...

I was just giving another rout, and a more common possibility, but the stuff you posted was good marty. I doubt its an injector, but there is a decent possibility of it being a harness
Old 10-03-2006, 04:20 PM
International Threat

YAY! I was partially right, kinda!

haha
Old 10-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Repaired

Marc,

Right on the money, connectors loose inside valve pan covers.

Runs like a charm.

Thank's alot for the information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.