I'm lost. No idea where to start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm lost. No idea where to start

I was driving up a grade and I seem my oil temp was getting a little high. Plus my passenger needed to use the restroom. So I pulled off the free way, let off the throttle and the truck died.

I tried starting it and it just turns over. I checked fuses and made sure nothing under the hood came undone.

I waited for it to cool down and it still won't start.

So I'm lost. No check engine light, didn't over heat, didn't give me any signs of anything was going bad.

The only thing I can think of, is these last few days I would come to a light and the truck RPMs would drop really low and then come back high. So maybe fuel?

I'm stranded and taking it to a mechanic in Las Vegas, but some suggestions would be good. Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
FIRST - Yr/Mdl of your truck...

Next, here's the usual;

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Do you see cranking rpm on the Tach? Do you have a spare CPS to try?

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?)

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 PM

99 f350 7.3

I do see the cranking RPMs.
The WTS light does come on.
I can hear the fuel pumping.

I got it towed to the closest shop. Once they dropped it, I tried to start it and it fired right up.

Another person told me that it most likely is the fuel rail pressure sensor, that it got too hot and probably going bad.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
To add to that list, check your oil level and make sure there isn't something else mixed in with it.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Oil level checked. Nothing along with it beside more oil.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestime22 View Post
99 f350 7.3

I do see the cranking RPMs.
The WTS light does come on.
I can hear the fuel pumping.

I got it towed to the closest shop. Once they dropped it, I tried to start it and it fired right up.

Another person told me that it most likely is the fuel rail pressure sensor, that it got too hot and probably going bad.
Did you see cranking rpm when it wouldn't start, or now when it does?

You should carry a spare CPS in any case, they commonly fail and that's Exactly what they do. You're driving along and, just like you shut-off the key, the engine quits. You let it cool off and it starts right up again (till next time ). The Tach rising on the starter it a good test (pre '01) and if it cranks & cranks but won't start and you see rpm, it's Not the CPS.

Hearing the fuel pump running is NOT the same as confirming you have fuel delivery. Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

Are you @1/4 tank?

That "Other Person" doesn't know these motors. There IS no "fuel rail pressure sensor". There is an IPR valve that can do that. Lower than the Yellow Lever, towards the drivers side, the size of your thumb, facing fore & aft, plug with 3 wires on it. Check the plug & wires for signs of a short. There is a "Tin Nut" that retains the solenoid coil the plug goes on to, at the very back of it. That nut can vibrate off, allowing the coil to slide around and give you trouble.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM

What's a CPS?

These guys at J & S Diesel in Las Vegas looked at it. Not happy with the lack of info they gave me. That also makes me doubt what they told me.

They checked the fuel pressure and it was normal. Again, this is after letting it sit for four hours before looking at it.

They told me that the HPOP would climb to 2800psi and then drop right away to 1700psi. I didn't see it and it was very close to their closing time. I would put money on it, they just told me that to leave it for another day.

I figured its running now, I'll try to make it home.

On the way home it ran with low boost and high EGT's. Basically it was really struggling. I noticed at idle after pulling my trailer for a while that it was idling rough.

I stopped to give it a break and it died right away. I had to wait for the truck to completely cool down and then it would start again.

I made it home and it died as I pulled up. It will no longer run. It will crank, but won't start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.