7.3 overheat and fuel in coolant.!! Help Please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 7.3 overheat and fuel in coolant.!! Help Please

Ok guys, First let me apologize in advance for such a long post, but I really need some advise. PLEASE.... and FAST. THis is my only means of income and I am dead in the water!!!

Here's the deal. I have a 2000 F350 CC dually. I tow a 3 car trailer everyday. Last week I had a severe overheat. I say severe because the engine actually stopped running before I could get off the road and stopped. I have been noticing a hairline crack in the radiator right beside where the upper hose connects and a couple in the overflow tank as well. Never let the coolant run too low, just topped it off every few days as needed. Now heres the problem. After the overheat I see that the cracks have gotten much worse in the radiator. Tried to "fix" it temporarily to get home with some quick set epoxy. Applied the epoxy, let everything cool down, topped off with water and back on the road. 6 miles til it was hot again. Pulled off to the side of the road and see that the epoxy DID NOT work. I grabbed the upper radiator hose and wiggled it to see if the cracks would open up or how bad they were etc... and the entire nipple broke off. So there I am on the side of the interstate with no way to attach the upper rad hose... Luckily I was loaded with driveable cars so I used one to drive to the closest Oreilly and bought a new radiator. (9:30 pm) I get back to the truck and start to install. PROBLEM!! The transmission lines do not fit the fittings in the new radiator!!! Now 11 pm. Sleep in the truck, wait til they open in morning to return rad. Actually find a parts dealer with a new rad in stock for $160.00 ($60 cheaper than Oreilly) Get back to truck, install and back on the road. Made it about 50 miles, noticed smoke and high temp again. Pulled over.... FIRE!!!!!!!! The valve cover gaskets had melted on the exhaust side and dripped alot of oil on exhaust manifolds. Radiator is boiling and puking water out the cap. Seems like thermostat will open, let water in, which immediately boils. Remove thermostat completely. Made it home.

Now there is fuel in my coolant. I read about injector cups and talked to a couple local Powerstroke shops. I think this may be the problem, so I ordered a new set with orings and install/remove tools. I DO NOT have any oil in the coolant nor is there any coolant in my oil. Seems that the coolant system is pressurized as it pushes water/fuel out of the cap. Can anyone tell me if bad injector cups cause this or if they cause the overheating issue. I haven't found any info that addresses these two questions. Already have the parts and have began the disassembly. Just want to know if I should do head gaskets while I'm in here or if the injector cups are the only problem. Liek I said, I am in a desperate hurry to get this thing back on the road. Going broke quick!!! Please help.... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.