help me this thing is making me mad. (power loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2005, 03:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
help me this thing is making me mad. (power loss

i have a 2000 ford powerstroke with a 6-speed manual trans. it recently got cold here and my truck started opening the exhaust valve and making the exhaust really loud and i lose power. i know they are supposed to do this, but mine never stops doing it unless i let off the gas or put it to the floor. i got an exhaust back pressure sensor and put it on it helped some but still does it. i think it has something to do with where it is getting its temp. reading. what controls this valve? is there a temp sensor to cause the valve to open? where is it. the only way that i can make it stop and regain power is to dissconnect the exhaust valve accuator anf wire it closed. any input would be greatly apprecciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 08:14 PM

The warm up valve is controled by engine oil temp and intake air temp. If ecu see's those sensor below a set value it closes the valve. When the temp on the oil gets to its set temp the ecu changes the warm up valve on time. There has been problems with this warm up valve not working when it gets cold. When the tempeture is above the freezing mark the valve does not close. Then when it does trun cold it closes and will not open untell the intake air temp is above 35 derg. The fix is a new turbo base that is where the valves control actuator and sensor is.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:38 PM

r u sure that the sensor is in the base? the local ford dealer told me to replace the exhaust back pressure sensor.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

codes

Have you had ford check the the system for error codes? That can save lots of guess work some times. If you have a programer style chip you can run the codes your self.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:59 PM

yes i ran a check and got a 470 exhaust back pressure circuit error
Old 11-28-2005, 05:31 PM

Sensor may be the wrong turm what it does is control the percant that the valve closed.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:13 AM

ok we will see it is pretty cold this morning. i will see if it worked, i also cleaned the line going to the sensor it was full of carbon i mean full
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 PM

Question

i did some checking today. when the engine is at 1200 -1600 rpms the actuator moves and the valve opens or closes which ever it does when its cold. when i let off or give it more throttle it closes. so the actuator works. but when it gets warmed up to opereating temp. it doesn't stop doing this no matter how long you drive it. is it possible for the sensor in the turbo pedistol to be bad and the actuator still be good? i could barely hold speed on the way to work today. so before i came home i dissconnected the actuator and wired the valve so it didn't move. the truck drove fine. will this hurt the truck to continue driving it like this till i can afford to get it fixed. i want to be sure that it is the pedistol before i buy it, i can't afford to spend 400$ for the wrong part. is it possible to just change the sensor and not the whole pedistol? thank you for your help
Old 11-29-2005, 08:54 PM

Need to have it checked for codes and have it scaned to see what the valve is doing. With a scan tool you can watch the percent that the valve is closed, and what the temp reading are on the oil and intake air sensors. This will you if the warm up system can work normal.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wastegate valve control. check for oil under turbo pedestal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.