Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Water pump replace update

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  deezntuz 
#1 ·
Replaced the water pump on my 99 F250 last week. Piece of cake. went to UTube and found a vidio of the replacement procedure and it was great. The biggest problem was removing the fan/clutch nut. The vidio said to use an air chisel which I would not recomend as you could damage the nut. The nut is a large so I used an 18inch adjustable wrench. It is a right hand thread so I just used a hammer to give the adjustable wrench a good wack and it loosened the nut. Once the nut is broke loose it comes off easy. Auto-Zone carries an exact replacement that requires no core. The Fan and the shroud has to be removed together as there is no room to remove one without the other, it is auxward but do able. The replacement water pump comes with gaskets so the only thing extra you need is a new thermostat.:woot:

#2 ·
First off don't buy parts from auto zone. Second an air chisel is the best way to get the fan clutch off the water pump. Remove the two bolts holding the shroud to the radiator and pull the shroud and fan together. One man can do this easily. Also, get a new thermostat and gasket from Ford while you are at it. Napa has good parts too if you are not near a Ford dealer. I use a bit of RTV to hold the new oring type gasket to the water pump while installing it. That way you don't have to worry about the gasket shifting while you start the bolts. Then reinstall the fan and shroud. Tighten the large nut the best you can. The rotation of the engine will tighten the nut so its not a big deal if you can't torque the fan clutch nut. I will say, the bolts holding the pulley to the water pump can be a bear to get out. Have fun, this is a very easy job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.