Starter or ignition switch? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter or ignition switch?

99 f250 hd, six speed standard, 178000miles, starts when the clutch is depressed with key in the on position. It doesn't happen every time but when it does, the starter tries to engage when I shift gears while driving. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like you have a short somewhere for sure. Pull the starter fuse, see if it still does it. That will tell you if the short is on the inside of the cab, or the outside. I'm guessing it will be in your switch, but guesses don't fix problems. If pulling the fuse does it, pull the ignition switch and see if you can find any obvious brokeness.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I did not think of the switch its self. I will start with the isolation procedure first
Old 05-31-2013, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In the power distribution box, fuse 21 when removed (50amp) elimenants the problem. In my owners manual for this fuse there is (B1and B3), whats that? This is one of two 50a fuses that is labeld ignition switch???? with fuse 21 removed the truck will start normally...I am confused
Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well shoot, I went back out and tried to reverify the fuse, and low and behold the problem is still there even with fuse 21 removed, so I am back at square one...any suggestions out there?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Help! I am down due to this problem. I am trying to remove the ignition switch to see if that is where the problem lies. Anyone know how to do this? Is there something elese I should try first?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

99-03 OD wire fix

How to remove the ignition switch is in there. Also a good time to check the mentioned OD button wires as well.

I hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

OH, and I looked in my owners manual. Fuse 113 is for the starter. That may not be the same for your 99, but it's showing a specific fuse for the starter.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, here is where I am so far. I removed the switch, only to find our it don't have any contacts in it. The key switch activates a switch that is futher down the steering column. This switch is the electrical portion of the ignition system. It is held in place by two screws and will drop down to expose the manual switch lever that the key switch intergises when the key is turned on. With out a schematic there is no way to know which contact point is the starter control. Any sugestions other than buying a manual? I have another problem that has come up which leads me to think this switch may be causing the problem. When I turn the key on to start the engine the wipers come on intermittantly.??????
Old 06-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Whahoo, got her fixed. I went to Auto Zone and bought a new ignition switch, put it in and still had the problem. So I sat and pondered how in the world could this be happening, everytime I depress the clutch with the key on the starter is trying to engage.....well I said, self, the only other possibility is the clutch switch. I contorted myself such that I was able to get under the dash and low and behold the switch was installed in such a manner that the clutch rod was rubbing the harness everytime the clutch was engaged. The positive wire on the switch was almost wore into, and the ground wire was chaffed enough so that when the clutch was engaged the two would short thus activating the starter....cost me $26 for the switch, so now I have a spare......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.