Problem after injector change. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem after injector change.

Hello all. I'm experience some problems with my 95 7.3 engine. I recently pulled the heads, replaced the lifters, rebuilt the injectors, replace the valve springs, and replaced the rocker arms. I fired up the truck today after finally getting it all put back together and it's running horrible. I'm getting codes for contributiont balance on cylinders 2,3,4,5,6,7.

I couldn't get it to start after the initial rebuild and found that the HPOP was empty. I filled it with about 1.5 quarts of new oil and it fired up in less than 1 minute of cranking. Starting still tankes 10-20 seconds of cranking before it starts up.

I'm wondering if I just need to drive it to purge any air in the high pressure oil lines, do I need to add more oil to the HPOP, or is it likely that something is wrong with the injectors.

Any and all advice is welcome. I'll check the HPOP resivoir in the morning since that's pretty simple. I also plan on pulling the valve covers tomorrow to see if there's anything going on with lifters, push rods, valves, or rocker arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ford and others want you to go on a 25 mile drive to (purge the system) it works ..the more you drive it the better it gets
Old 03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
I cracked the plug on one head and cracked the sensor on the other to help bleed out the air and mine smoothed right out when it started.

this is the second time it started first was about 2 min.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea I cant fully explain why .but i have rebuilt many 7.3s and every time i have had to take er out on a long drive to get it back to normal ..ps i met a fella from AK YOU GONE OUTSIDE LATELY?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

as a side note just if you havent heard when you first start one after a rebuild unplug the cam sensor and crank untill the oil pressure comes up on the gauge to insure you dont split the injector tips ,,,fyi
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clear the failures and drive it some and then retest.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I rebuilt the injectors myself using a kit for DIY-Injectors.com (nice kit btw). I have access to a VCM and when I run a cylinder contribution test the results have been different everytime. 1st, 3&4 injectors were out of balance. Then 2-7 were out of balance. This last time 4, 5, &6 were out of balance. I'm getting an ICP voltage high/low code when driving. I wonder if the ICP has gone bad from messing with it (taking it on and off) and that is causing problems with the timing and such for the injectors.

What would a split injector sound/feel like?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I replaced the ICP and found that my 6 bank chip has been causing the ICP error. It brings the ICP voltage up about .5 volt.

I've drive probably 100 miles and I'm still having missing issues.

The last time I ran a cylinder contribution test 3-8 came up as bad.

Any thoughts? Should I pull the injectors and re-clean them?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if you have the means do a buzz test on the injectors you will hear if 3 or 8 is weak selinoid wise if all your injectors sound good (the same and strong) than try this ...drain your fuel filter bowl and refill it with stanadyne proformance formula or like fluid (diesel power service) start the engine and listen does it run better??? this is a neat trick to see if you have a galled injector or injectors..with the straight diesel additive even bad injectors will run great for a minute then you will know if you have a mechanical problem or an injector malfunction...good luck i hope this helps
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic@ivfire.com View Post
yea I cant fully explain why .but i have rebuilt many 7.3s and every time i have had to take er out on a long drive to get it back to normal ..ps i met a fella from AK YOU GONE OUTSIDE LATELY?
last time i was outside was July went to NV when my grandmother passed away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.