will injectors make a truck not start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
will injectors make a truck not start?

I have a 1999 F450 that won't start when the temp is under 40deg. I had them check for codes and they said the 2-6 injectors were not working. They changed the harness and checked glow plugs and gpr and said they were fine. When I do get the truck started and it warms up the 2-6 injectors work fine. Do injectors start working once the truck is warmed up, and would this be a reason for the truck not starting just on cold days? After the harness was replaced last weekend the truck didn't start again. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It really sounds like you need a complete set of glo plugs 2-6 wont fire cold with defunk glow plugs causing a no start cold ...also remember glow plug on time will be significantly shorter (under 10 seconds ) which is not long enough @ low temps to fire any cylinder cold with 2 or more defective plugs
Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glow plug removal

See the white wire? Pull it with your finger and then use a 10mm 1/4" drive deep well socket to remove it.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

buy the looks of the pictures someones got a lot of water getting into the top of that head I would start pulling compression test to check for a blown head gasket....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic@ivfire.com View Post
buy the looks of the pictures someones got a lot of water getting into the top of that head I would start pulling compression test to check for a blown head gasket....
I think that is the LEAST of his problems.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic@ivfire.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk0 View Post
I think that is the LEAST of his problems.

Oh yah... the pic was from my motor teardown after it broke.

Click on the "broke" link in my signature.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If this helps any I just went through a 6 month long cold start, no start running like crap problem. It was in and out of the shop replacing parts here and there thinking we'd fixed it (see the list below for everything I replaced before the injectors finnaly fixed the problem) and it would still act up. It was throwing a 1316 code and would not reset or clear. It would always start once it was warm, but if the temp was below 40 and the truck had been sitting for more than 20 hours or so, it would not start. I'd plug it in and it would start right up. The glow plug system was fine. My mechanic insisted the injectors were ok that they passed several buzz tests and contribution tests. We did replace one injector that didn't pass. Finnally after doing everything we could think of and nothing got better, I talked him into taking the injectors out and sending them to Industrial Injection in Salt Lake City Utah 1-801-972-0476. They were able to take the injectors apart and inspect them and they found that the insides were scared and worn beyond repair. The poppets were scarred and there was very little to zero clearance in the armatures. I Replaced the injectors with a set of stock injectors from Industrial for $220.00 a piece and walla, the truck runs like a brand new truck. The engine even sounds smoother and runs like a top. Starts in any temperature now, no problem. They told me that dirty oil will scar the poppets inside the injectors. Give Industrial a call and talk to them, I hate to say it but you might need new injectors if everything else is ok.

cps (3 times)
icp
ipc
one new injector which failed a buzz test
idm (three different times)
pcm (twice)
8 glow plugs
glow plug relay
put in two new interstate batteries
alternator
fuel pump
fuel filter twice
oil and filter change, running rotella 5w 40
both under valve wiring harnesses
oil temp sending unit
some sensor on transmission
HPOP (a used one with 50,000 miles on it)
complete engine wiring harness (thought there was an electrical short)
8 new stock injectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.