new guy issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new guy issue

howdy guys im new to the diesel community. i am looking at getting a 99 turbo 7.3 powerstroke f250 but i have some concerns. it seems very underpowered while taking off like its not safe to pull out in front of people not the usual 1-2 turbo lag like it takes it a few seconds to get up and go but once it gets going it has power. also while test driving it died but caught itself as i was stoping. the truck is a great buy so if this is a simple fix let me know im thinking its the CPS but not 100% sure. i only let the truck warm up for a few minutes after being started and it started very easily and i only drove it at max 1.5 miles down the road and back. when i pulled back i opened the hood and water was on the a/c compressor don't believe that has anything to do with it the truck is completely stock and the door ajar light is on constantly if that is a sign. truck has 239,000 miles but the newb will appreciate the help.

Last edited by 4d4life1994; 05-21-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK First, read through this -> What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD

Next, diesels make lots of power low-end, it all about torque at 1500rpm. That engine has a problem, there's really no such thing as Turbo Lag in these diesels (not at alike a Gas job).

BUT, these engines are expensive to buy parts for, if you think it's a "deal", the only way to be sure is to have it professionally evaluated (also gets you bargaining power when you bring the "It Needs" list ).

My advice is to pony-up the money it takes to have that evaluation done. Take it to the dealership and have them do a through check. In the long-run, it's gonna be cheaper.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks for the link! all that checked out just the cps symptoms that are showing from what i have read. im going back at the end of the week and will take it to get codes red and see what shows up. a mechanic looked over it and he suggested the cps thats why i brought it up all other things check out trany is smooth goes in and out of 4wd good all maintenance has been kept up just never saw anything about the famous cps
Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yea, but, here's the deal with the CPS issue. It does Not cause low power and rarely causes the engine to run poorly. What happens is, as the engine temp causes the CPS to get hot, it just Quits. Like you turned the Key Off. Runs great one second and leaves you stranded the next. After a cool-down period (10-30 mins) starts right up, runs great again and then quits. Sometimes 15mins later, sometimes 15 weeks, ya never know....

That doesn't sound anything like what you're seeing.

Next is the code reader you want to bring. Unless you have a professional scanner, it's not going to tell you much. These trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II and few generic codes are applicable. Most here use the AutoEnginuity for personal use, if your "mechanic" comes he needs to bring the shops SnapOn, Matco, or the equivalent. A cheaper scanner is useless. PLUS what you really want is a diagnostic tool that will read the Ford proprietary and Diesel Specific codes as well as monitor the sensors and be able to query the IDM with a Buzz Test.

BUT, even that, isn't going to be the same as what you'd get from a dealership. They know these trucks and the common faults in, not only the engine, but the entire drivetrain & suspension. THAT'S what you want so you know what it is your in-for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.