Need HELP 2002 f-350 wont start wts light on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need HELP 2002 f-350 wont start wts light on

I am working on 2002 f-350 7.3 4x4 auto. It cranks but wont start. wts light stays on. Scanner will not communicate. Fuse #22 has 12.3 volts on both sides. Pcm relay is good. Checked computer pins all power feeds have 12.3 volts, all grounds good. The truck had edge ford attitude on it. It is now unhooked. The truck wont start so the kid put three different gpr from auto zone on. He said it started on third on. Truck was started 5 or 6 times and then wouldn't start so he put a gpr from advance on it. I'm not sure about he's reason for replacing, I don't think it had anything to do with not running. IDM relay does NOT click. My uncle is a ford diesel tech but think he's been working on 6.0s for too long. he wasn't much help other then he let me borrow a good IDM and pcm. but still have same problem with them. Most of the forums I've read with this problem have been bad fuse 22. Any ideas would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In an '02 it's actually more likely to be fuse #30 (the fuel heater) but, if you've checked the PCM plug for power & ground, that too isn't going to be it...

BUT, if the IDM relay doesn't energize, AND you can't communicate with a New PCM either, you've got something really weird going on. I agree, it has nothing to do with a GPR (which you don't even Need over 40*).

What are you using for a scanner? (the generic OBD-II aren't of much use with these engines but it certainly should communicate). I'd wonder about the OBD-II port but you say the WTS never shuts off. That's a sign that the PCM is really confused, it shouldn't ever do that.

On one hand I'd be thinking this is all a computer or electrical issue (the WTS, Communication problem, intermittently working again, then not) But, it sure would be nice to confirm you had HPOP/Fuel/Oil pressures and that the injectors were getting signal to fire. All of which we rely on the scanner for but, I guess, could be confirmed, mechanically, with out it.

On the electrical side, does everything look solid? Body Grounds too? How about the fuseable link connection? (POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine......)

You've got your hands full The fact that, after one of the GPR changes, it worked for a while would drive me crazy!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Ive checked all fuses several times with a power probe. #22 had low voltage on one side. was blown and replaced. Its been checked several times since then. The truck went to another shop before I got it. Their scanner didnt work, I tried a matco scanner and a generic. I could get into the abs and airbag with matco. I need to find how the can bus works. I mosty work on 6.0 so I been reading everything I can on the 7.3. also the fuel pump doesnt kick on and glow plug relay.

Last edited by MAD; 05-21-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK first, we're not CanBus really. See if the Matco menu has a place to change it to SAE J1850 PWM (an OBD-II variant) and if that allows a scan. Have you scanned other 7.3's with it before?

Again, the constant WTS and now it not activating the fuel pump (you checked the Inertia Sw - right?) says to me the computer isn't doing it's job, for what ever reason, and if you've swapped with a known good one (of the right type) it's gonna be in the wiring to/from it that would be where I'd be thinking first.

Fuses OK, Grounds OK, Batteries OK, PCM OK, $hit man, I donno. You got a stumper there...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It cranks over great. Have 11.5 volts when cranking. I've never used the matco on a 7.3 but have used it on 6.0. I'm goin to print off some wiring diagrams at work today. Hopefully I can come up with something tonight. The kid who owns truck is little inpatient. I think I got him to understand that it takes time to track down problems like this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM

I've got the exact same issue that happened to my truck after I drove it to a gas station. I will post the link to what I've posted so far...
Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Need help, 2002 F350 no start
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got it figured out other night. After goin there the pinpoint chart I figured out it was the exhaust back pressure sensor shorted out. Unplugged it and truck started
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 AM

I unplugged my exhaust back pressure sensor, but no start. Does the same as it has been, WTS stays on and cranks over fine with no fire. It was worth a shot though. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check the reference voltage on the data link. Thats what my problem was. If you have low or no voltage there, should be around 5 volts, something in the voltage reference circuit is shorted out. Which will pretty much shut down the computer. Let me know if you need anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, no start, wts light stays on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.