LOSS OF POWER... Im thinking Turbo! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LOSS OF POWER... Im thinking Turbo!

Well today I was getting on it a little bit attempting to pass one of those dirty Cummings on the highway... Without thinking, I made the mistake of changing my DP-Tuner from the 80HP Economy setting to the 140 HP Aggressive setting on the fly so I could coat him with a little black smoke...lol. I know you're not supposed to change settings under a heavy load but I was running maybe 2000 RPMs when I did it. Anyway, it must have been a mistake because I immediately noticed a substantial power loss and a funny noise coming from what sounds to be the turbo. I'm not talking about the whooshing, or the whistle as I know this is ordinary. This sounds almost like a bad bearing or something. In any case its running like crap, when I step down it doesn’t feel like the turbo is spooling up right. What’s the symptoms of a turbo getting ready to take a dump? Any Suggestions?

Most mods include... DP Tuner, Overboost annihilator, unhooked and plugged red wastgate line. The turbo itself is stock, I do have a ATS Compressor housing waiting to be put on though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

do not drive anymore till you know for sure. you don't want to ruin the the turbo cooler
Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to 06Blackmamba Send a message via Yahoo to 06Blackmamba
lots of turbo lagg? lots of black smoke on stock settings,idk i would look at turbo wheel try moving it back and forth to see if its out don't want to blow it while running mess alot of stuff up
Old 03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

check the turbo shaft endplay. that is how much it moves in and out of the compressor housing. and check the up and down of the shaft. also, look at your wheel. is it eaten up any? hows your oil level? try did you get any CELs?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:27 AM

Basically do what xsracinggt said, pull the air cleaner off the turbo and grab the shaft inside the turbo housing and see if you can slide it in and out any. There should be extremely minimal play or none. Some up and down play is normal, I have a brand new turbo sitting on my work bench and it even has some up and down play. Check for shaft play and get back to us.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:18 AM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig long View Post
do not drive anymore till you know for sure. you don't want to ruin the the turbo cooler

Craig, what is the turbo cooler?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM

im pretty sure he is talking about the intercooler.

Also you might as well just tear the turbo out anyway because you are going to be putting that housing in. Just a thought, it would clear up a lot of questions regarding the turbo.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its raining like cats and dogs outside today... Will have to wait until tomorrow.

I will let you guys know about the end play, no check engine lights either. I plugged the waste gate line back in and I dont hear it as bad but it still feels weak.

Last edited by AirborneJohn007; 03-02-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: forgotten info
Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
man i wouldnt know but here is a bump for tech bud! sorry to hear about this i hope you get it fixed
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well today I checked the turbo shaft. No endplay what so ever of course I couldnt get a very good grip on it but I couldnt feel any play "in and out' , "up and down", or "side to side". On a good note, today I changed the fuel filter and scheduled an appointment to get the old camshaft positioning sensor changed out. It does seem to be running a little better since I changed the fuel filter though. The old one was pretty plugged up.

Not really hearing the noise today coming from the turbo... Is it possible that the fuel filter was really clogged and when I changed to the HOT setting on the DP-Tuner it starved for fuel and stalled? Of course that wouldnt explain the noise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.