sputters when wet? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sputters when wet?

OK guys my old man has an 03 i think its 01-03 7.3, and when it rains or the roads wet/slushy it seems to sputter. It doesn't stall, the rpms just fall to about 500 then back up... It does it on a full tank, empty tank, new oil, old oil, new fuel filter, old fuel filter, air filter.... blah blah blah, the moisture is the only variable that makes it do it... changed the cps for heck of it and still happens. light mods, edge, exhaust, and straight pipe.

The only thing i can think of is when i put his programmer in there was a conection on the front, bottom of the block, could moisture be gettin in there and breaking a connection? It has never happened in dry of powder frozen snow! JUST MOISTURE! any help would be greatly appreciated in know ur all smarter than me, so lets have it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDurtyDeez View Post
OK guys my old man has an 03 i think its 01-03 7.3, and when it rains or the roads wet/slushy it seems to sputter. It doesn't stall, the rpms just fall to about 500 then back up... It does it on a full tank, empty tank, new oil, old oil, new fuel filter, old fuel filter, air filter.... blah blah blah, the moisture is the only variable that makes it do it... changed the cps for heck of it and still happens. light mods, edge, exhaust, and straight pipe.

The only thing i can think of is when i put his programmer in there was a conection on the front, bottom of the block, could moisture be gettin in there and breaking a connection? It has never happened in dry of powder frozen snow! JUST MOISTURE! any help would be greatly appreciated in know ur all smarter than me, so lets have it!
being late that it is, ill find out tommorow bc my brother had the same problem on his truck, its a sensor i think for his turbo, everytime moisture was in the air the truck would sputter also, ill get back to you later.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have also read where folks had water seeping through the windshield down the a-pillar and behind the dash. Here's a thread that talks about it. Here's another to look at.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the sensor is a pressure sensor on the turbo when moisture is in the air it starts acting goofy. We went to the dealer to get it replaced cause the warranty wasnt up yet
Old 03-01-2008, 07:11 PM

I knew this girl once who used to sputter when ........ uhhhhhhh you meant the truck!! My bad!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDurtyDeez View Post

I think mine is doing the same thing. It will be running fine, when raining or snowing, and then occasionally she will skip, buck, sputter (whatever you want to call it). Some time it will throw a light, but when the code reader is hooked up, no codes are showing. Same as you, only when its wet outside.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
It could be the windshield wipers. Mine does the same thing, but only when the wipers are on intermittent.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelongbed View Post
It could be the windshield wipers. Mine does the same thing, but only when the wipers are on intermittent.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Tell me about it. I know for a fact on mine it's when the windshield wipers are on that it bucks and acts goofy. I asked the service guys about it when I got my cps changed and they looked at me like I was stupid
Old 03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

It may be the CPS, when they start failing power spikes will disrupt them. Try running the wipers when it's not raining to rule out the water. i have seen this problem fixed by the CPS and like said before, sometimes it is from water running through a poorly sealed windshields an onto the generic electronic module (GEM). I would start with the CPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.