Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ford's diagnosis...oil cooler leaks

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Performance Oil Products 
#1 ·
well, i got the recall done today and ford did a free inspection. Of course the water pump is leaking again. i changed it about a year and a half ago, good thing i got the lifetime warrany so that's not a big deal.

ford did say that the oil cooler is leaking. the gasket/o-ring kit from ford is $120 :yikes:

2 questions:

1. anyone know of a cheaper kit

2. how hard is it to do, is there a write up/how-to anywhere

#3 ·
i'm due for the additive, but not overdue. i put in 8 oz every 15k. i have never tested the coolant. when i bought the truck in may 05 i did a complete fluid swap including the coolant.

#4 ·
#8 ·
i would assume you can get the test strips at any parts store, but i get the ford powerstroke coolant additive from Ford.

this is good info, but we're getting a little off topic, sorry.

2 questions:

1. anyone know of a cheaper kit

2. how hard is it to do, is there a write up/how-to anywhere

#9 ·
ford's diagnosis

any takers on that answer for the oil cooler? looking for a cure for the same problem. thanks to all:bump:

#10 ·
Check with your local International dealer. They tend to be much less expensive. As for opening it up it's a couple of hour job to get it apart clean it and back together. The worst part is cleaning everything up and getting the caps back on.

Buy yourself some good petrolium jelly and they slide on a little easier. It really isn't to hard at all to do. I think the last one I did the orings were a few dollors and the gasket kit was 20.00 or so.

Good luck I think you should be able to get this repair done on your own.

#11 ·
I'm having the same problem, only it's not the O rings.... The cooler tube is actually rotted out and is leaking. I posted a thread, but got no response. I figured since this one is active, I'll chime in here.
So, Performance Oil Products, You've done these before? I"m glad to hear that it isn't that hard to do. The advice I got from a mechanic so far, was that the whole thing has to be replaced as one unit (The two ends and the tube). Can I get just the tube and O rings then?

#12 ·
Why do you need the tube?

Just buy the orings and the gasket kit that mounts it back on the block.

I have done a lot of them. It's not real hard just a little messy.

Get a 5 gallon bucket of hot soapy water for cleaning it out. Use compresserd ait to blow through it to dry it out. I usually spray a bunch of WD-40 in it afterward because it's a water dissipater. Make sure the Oring groves arn't gauld up at all. if they are come light sanding will be needed to make them true again. The put it back together. Use petrolium jelly on the oring to help get the caps on. The caps can be a bear.

Put a cap on the groung and push the cooler into it. Flip it over and do the same. it will take a good amount of body weight and muscle to get it on, but you can do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.