Injector cups - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector cups

Hey guys need a second opinion. I've noticed I have been having to add 1qt oil about every month. No oil leaks that I have seen and no abnormal smoke. I have been using Amsoil 15w-40 full synthetic diesel oil. Truck is a 2001 7.3 with 197xxx miles.
Thinking maybe time for new injector cups?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Or would a symptom of bad cups / sleeves be coolant loss? Its been bothering me for a little bit and would like to get it fixed. Truck runs perfectly fine. Maybe HPOP or LPOP going bad? Unless its leaking into the valley I can't see anything

Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

ICP at startup was 600-620ish psi. Warmed up was 480-500. No under truck oil leaks. Turbo and intake manifold are dirty with oil residue. Waiting on darkness so I can peek at the pedestal with a flashlight. I have a gutted pedestal waiting to go in. My question is would a leaking ebpv cause me to lose that much oil?

Attached Thumbnails
Injector cups-1368317959790.jpg   Injector cups-1368317969702.jpg   Injector cups-1368317979879.jpg   Injector cups-1368317991684.jpg   Injector cups-1368318003673.jpg  

Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

Warmed up ICP

Attached Thumbnails
Injector cups-1368318036535.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

Also could it be a bad PCV valve causing too much crankcase airflow? Maybe why my CCV and Turbo are dirtier than they have been? A bad PCV is listed as a possible culprit of oil consumption in my Chiltons guide

Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Nevermind I'm an idiot no pcv on 7.3s back to drawing board

Old 05-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, you are correct, there is no PCV valve on the 7.3 Powerstroke. If you had an injector cup issue the oil or fuel would end up in your coolant. The fuel system and oil system run at a higher pressure than the coolant system, so the higher pressure would push these fluids into your coolant.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks man that's good info. I'm going to do a coolant flush soon so maybe that will tell. The coolant in the reservoir looks clean. I'm assuming oil particles would rise to the surface in the coolant.

I'm also assuming if I had a problem with piston rings I would see blueish smoke. My truck barely smokes at all even when at full throttle. Everything feels strong just I hate topping off oil once a month.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

I may try switching from Amsoil 15w-40 full synthetic to Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic and see if oil consumption goes down. 4 qts in 2 months is irritating when oil is $9 per quart

Now this is my first run with Amsoil since I switched from Motorcraft. If I can't find an oil leak I will change the oil again and see if it continues to consume some. Also going to check the CCV doghouse because it is soooo much dirtier than it was about 6 months ago. I changed to Amsoil late last September and then was out of state from Oct-Feb so the truck hasn't been driven a whole lot during that time period. I have daily driven it since Feb which puts it on the severe duty type driving. Been using AFE oil filter.....probably switching to WIX or Motorcraft again.

Last edited by USMC2001PSD7.3; 05-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes, the ebpv can leak like a sieve. I put a blank one on my engine because before I rebuilt my engine it would leak about a gallon a week. So, they can be a pain. The ebpv is really not needed. I live in MN and never had a problem without it. I also soldiered a resistor on the wires that plug into the ebpv so the ses doesn't come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.