Occasional sputter and die at Idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Occasional sputter and die at Idle

About two weeks ago, I was driving at 65 and the truck coughed. Then 5 miles later did it again and then after another 3 miles it really coughed, decelerated but started running again. Pulled into the local AZ for a scan, but it's a diesel so no go.

Ordered a Bluetooth scanner to link to my phone, and for the next few days It would cough and studder, about 3 times each 15 mile trip to and from work. got the scanner, downloaded "Car Gauge" and "Torgue", Torque found no codes, Car Gauge found some but the light version wouldn't show them. I did a reset, and tried driving it, No more problems for about a week.

Now today, to and from work a couple of coughs, take the kids to soccer practice Dies once coming to a stop, won't start as if no fuel, then on the third round of cranking, it starts and runs fine. Stopped to feed kids and it wouldn't start after numerous attempts. figured fuel pump gave up the ghost. Waited for 5 minutes. Started and ran.

At this point it is parked until diagnosed and repaired.

Here are the code:
B1352
B1203
P1316
P0344
P0340

I reviewed other posts on these codes. when it runs, it doesn't run rough, not missing half my cylinders. So not the normal connector under the valve cover problem.

My CPS doesn't fail from heat. . . will continue after the cough or die, doesn't have to cool down. (this one I'll replace anyway).

Any direction as to where to start would be greatly appreciated.

I've owned it since new, and other than the fuel bleeder leaking, replacing brakes and fuel filters and doing oil changes, I have been one lucky PSD owner.

2000 PSD Diablo 78hp chip, 4" exhaust, cylindrical air filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like CPS, they can have an intermittent fail. We can put a man on the moon, but can't make a reliable engine sensor that is so viatal for engine operation.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced CPS and it seems to be solved.

I did replace the Cam Position Sensor, and i've had no problems since. Thanks for all the help and this board.

I'm feeling especially lucky that it was intermittent, letting me get home and reproduce the problem so that I could track it down. I'm thankful I wasn't stranded on the side if the road making a call for a tow and a diesel mechanic. instead I had time to order a cheap bluetooth OBD2 scanner, and a couple of $5.00 smart phone apps that gave me the error codes.

These occasional problems remind me how good I've had it. Outside of warranty, I've had to replace the water pump, the fuel bowl bleed, and now the CPS. over 12 years, that is not a big expense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.