'01 7.3 PS Will Not Start - Checked All The Obvious - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'01 7.3 PS Will Not Start - Checked All The Obvious

Gentelmen,
I recently purchased an '01 F250 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke which was not running and I can not make it start for the life of me. I have done some extensive searching in these and other forums and there is obviously some very knowledgeable people out there, so I am hoping someone can help. The engine is turning over fine and fast enough I believe, sounds right, it just won't start. Here is what I know/have checked:

-it has been sitting a while with no batteries. I scanned the computer and get no codes.
-I have replaced the CPS with one I know is good.
-I have checked the HPOP resivoir and it was full.
-The fuel pump is pumping, filling the filter housing, and I have drained water off.
-Oil level is full (if not slightly over-filled) although oil is very old and thin.
-When I crank it the tach does move slightly and the oil pressure comes up after 5 seconds or so of cranking. Also, the "wait to start is cycling" like it should and besides it was 80 degrees here in Dallas today.

Here is the real kicker though - it will not even pop off with starting fluid (which I understand is not always a good idea but should work if it is a fuel delivery problem). I understand the LPOP, HPOP, or even old/broken down oil could cause this starting problem but regardless it should still start with eather - right?

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

how cold is it in your area right now??

have you checked the glow plug relay....have you checked the glow plugs??
Old 02-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Marc,
It was 80 degrees here today and I replaced the glow plug relay. Otherwise, no I am not sure if they are working but thought it was warm enough that it should have at least popped off with the starting fluid....
Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Banned

first things to check...]

pull codes..

monitor ICP on a scan tool..

fuel pressure....
Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Marc,
I appreciate your input, here again is some of what I know:
-like I mentioned in the first post, the truck sat for a while with no batteries so I imagine any pre-existing codes were lost. It has not actually started up since I put batteries on it so I don't think it could throw any new codes. Regardless, the SES light goes off and I did scan it but found no trouble codes.
- I am not equipped to check fuel pressure, but I know the pump is pumping. Even if it is not pushing enough pressure wouldn't it start when I spray starting fluid in the intake tube?
- And finally, here is where I show my real ignorance - what is the ICP and how do I check that out?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

"it's on the driver side head on the inside at the front to the right of the fuel filter, it ha 3 wires in the connector.also if there is any oil in the sensor or under the connector you should replace the sensor." (Stolen quote from another thread above this one)

Pull the connector off and see if it starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.