Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Glow Plug system from HELL problem

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jakeman711 
#1 ·
ok so i replaced glow plugs 2 times now and the glow plug relay 4 times now and keep blowing glow plugs left and right so my question is what are the voltages suppose to be at the glow plug relay key on and key off? any help will be greatful!

#3 ·
Well I was using cheap auto light Glow plugs and auto zone relay and now I'm gonna get better gp's and better relay but I don't think it should take out glow plugs in 3 days and before I throw expensive ones in and burn those up I wanna see if there could be a way they are staying on while its running and fix it before

#4 ·
The PCM will not let the plugs get too much juice. The blue wire that you put on the same post as the yellow and brown wire tells the computer how much the juice the GP's are getting. If there is a spike then the pcm turns the GPR off. Only put Motorcraft GP's in the 7.3 PS. They are made by Beru and if you use anything else you are asking from trouble. Autolites have a history of swelling and getting stuck in the heads of these engines.

#6 ·
Only if you pull the connector on the EOT sensor. The PCM reads the information from the EOT sensor and uses this to decide when the glow plugs should be turned on, and how long they will cycle. By unplugging the EOT sensor you are tricking the PCM to think that the engine is cold.

If you are not getting the same voltage on both large terminals then we can go into checking the coil side of the relay and the wiring that pertains to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.