Glow Plug system from HELL problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug system from HELL problem

ok so i replaced glow plugs 2 times now and the glow plug relay 4 times now and keep blowing glow plugs left and right so my question is what are the voltages suppose to be at the glow plug relay key on and key off? any help will be greatful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, what kind of GP's are you using? What kind of relay?

Next, voltage can't be an issue. They're made to run with everything the truck can produce. If your light bulbs can take it so can the GP's...
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 AM

Well I was using cheap auto light Glow plugs and auto zone relay and now I'm gonna get better gp's and better relay but I don't think it should take out glow plugs in 3 days and before I throw expensive ones in and burn those up I wanna see if there could be a way they are staying on while its running and fix it before
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The PCM will not let the plugs get too much juice. The blue wire that you put on the same post as the yellow and brown wire tells the computer how much the juice the GP's are getting. If there is a spike then the pcm turns the GPR off. Only put Motorcraft GP's in the 7.3 PS. They are made by Beru and if you use anything else you are asking from trouble. Autolites have a history of swelling and getting stuck in the heads of these engines.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM

OK so is there anyway they can stay on when the key is on even when the truck is warm?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Only if you pull the connector on the EOT sensor. The PCM reads the information from the EOT sensor and uses this to decide when the glow plugs should be turned on, and how long they will cycle. By unplugging the EOT sensor you are tricking the PCM to think that the engine is cold.

If you are not getting the same voltage on both large terminals then we can go into checking the coil side of the relay and the wiring that pertains to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.