Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wierd hard start...

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MtPaul401 
#1 ·
Lately I've been having some problems with starting - sometimes takes2 tries to get it started. This has happened probably 4 times in the last few weeks. Never had that issue before. Today was really weird though. It didn't start the first time so I shut off the key,turned it back on, waited for 30-40 seconds, tried again still no start.
I shut of the key again and about 3-5 seconds after I did that there was a "Whump" noise under the hood, kind if like a backfire only softer. I popped the hood, saw a little smoke that looked like exhaust smoke but nothing seemed to be wrong.
Got back in the truck and it started this time.
What the heck?

Things I've had done recently to the truck:
All new glow plugs, harnesses and relay

#4 ·
I'm new to the forum, please help
I have a problem starting it after it sits for more than 24 hours or more. If I take the time to crank it within the 24 hour period It will crank right up. It seems like the fuel is bleeding back to the tank and losing prime. Please help, any information would be great.

#5 ·
another day of wierd start

So I'm still having issues - it cranks a bit longer than it used to just a few weeks ago. This morning it cranked a little long then when it started it kinda eased into the start with a slight whooshing sound(if that makes sense), it didn't give the definate rumble like normal. There was also pretty significant smoke that came out for a few seconds - looked more white than black, although there was some black in the initial burst of smoke. That was new too, it usually doesn't smoke on startup. Unless I have to crank it a couple of times, then it smokes.
Temp was 39, it wasn't plugged in but it should fire right up.
Could it be the CPS like lonepole said? I didn't find any posts that said that could do it, but may have been searching with the wrong tag words. My CPS is probably 3 years old, maybe 4, it's the international one.
Oh, after the first start up of the day, it starts fine all day long, even if it sits until quitting time.
Thanks for anyone's help!

#6 ·
Sounds like a glow plug problem. Check your glow plug system. Start at the relay and go from there. Unplug your EOT sensor and turn the ignition on but do not start the truck. Test both large posts on the GPR the voltage should be close to the same. By unpluging the EOT sensor the PCM will signal the glow plug relay to remain on for a couple of minutes. Post your result and we will go from there. -Jacob

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply - where's there EOT sensor? Engine Oil Temp, right?
I'll get some checking done tonight or tomorrow. I'm starting to lean toward an intermittent GPR, it's new along with the glow plugs (motorcraft) and harnesses. The GPR is from NAPA, after I put it in I heard read some things about them going bad or being intermittent. May have to go to Stancor relay if this is the problem.

#8 ·
The whooshing sound and lots of smoke sound like a EBPV on. If its coming on at the wrong time, also its sensor adjusts the timing. I know where the sensor is on a OBS. If its in the same spot as a OBS. Look on the front of the motor where the A/C compressor is. Should be right behind it to the drivers side. Kind of sits on top of the HPOP and if you continue going to the drivers side looking at the sensors the 3rd one over considering the the middle one is number 2. and that the EBPVS is #1. Number 3 will be your EOT(sits kind of on the backside). all those sensor i that area control engine timing one way or another.
It might be possible that the sensor sticks out of the EBPV pedestal.

#9 ·
update - and a new problem?

Long post, sorry but more info on my issue...

This morning another hard start - didn't fire the first time, shut the key off and waited a bit. After a couple of second there was a clunk sound, like a vent or something closed. Sounded like it came from the passenger side under the hood. 2nd time it started fine, but with a good puff of black smoke followed by a good sized cloud of white smoke.
Tonight I unplugged the EOT and checked the GPR with my voltmeter. The first time i only got a reading on the hot plug, no others. I did this 6 or 7 more times and each time then got a reading of 18 or so on the large plug with the yellow wire going into it and the smaller plug on the front of the GPR that has a small red wire on it.
While I was checking I can hear a hissing sound, like an air leak but can find nothing that would make this sound. sounded like it was coming from around the fuel bowl on the drivers side. It would hiss for a couple of seconds then quit, was this just the fuel system pressuring up? I don't remember noticing this before. I replaced the fuel filter to make sure that gasket was good and still get that sound.

What the heck?

#10 ·
This morning with the temps cool - about 39 degreess - I checked my GPR - no voltage reading on the glow plug side. I tried several times, nada each time. Looks like my GPR only works when it wants to. Think I'll order the Stancor relay and see if this fixes the problem.

In my previous post I forgot to ask, should the EOT be able to turn? Mine did, the part where the plug goes on turns fairly easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.