99 7.3 no oil pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 no oil pressure

Ok, this is my first post and i am stumped. I recently bought a 99 F350 with a 7.3. had 269k on the meter. After a couple of weeks had hard starts in the mornings, temp didn't matter. Did some research and changed Crank sensor. only minor help. i kept an eye on the oil pressure after reading a post that sounded like my problem. i would rev the engine slightly at start up to build pressure before the HPOP res drained. That worked for a while. now no oil pressure at all even with external manual gauge. Figured the Lpop was toast. Pulled it and it is perfect as well as the front cover. Now what to do????????????????????

Thanks,

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 03:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any ideas?

We have not pulled the pan to see if anything is wrong there. Doesn't make sense, Lpop looks fine as does the front cover. I guess we will put the pump back on and check again for pressure, this time at the plug by the filter. it is full of oil and doesn't use any oil.

Doug
Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Next

ok, I am not getting oil from the pan into the Lpop. What is the total route the oil takes. Pickup tube to Pump? Anything that could stop the pickup? Loose fittings...?

doug
Old 02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the truck cranks up and runs the oil pump is probably OK, the PSD will not run without some oil pressure. I would check your guage sender location or the sending unit on the stock guage
Old 02-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Won't run

The truck won't run. Thats how i got to this point. The Lpop is not getting any oil so it can't fill the hpop reservoir. Must be some reason I can't get oil to the Lpop. The gears look new and there is not a scratch on the front cover behind the pump. Drained the oil and took a scope look in the pan through the plug hole and the pickup tube looks fine as does the screen. Are we going to have to lift the motor, Pull the pan and look closer? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 AM
lifetime member

i will watch this question for you and bump to the top later
Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

from another site

Found this on another site. It describes my problen exactly. maybe i will just put a melimg lpop on to try. i have 275kmiles so it won't hurt anyway.

Re: will not start?

I have lived your nightmare Tarheal.

My 2000 PSD truck would start and run a few seconds and then die or run with air in the fuel line for a couple of minutes. I have learned that my problem occurred when the oil pressure gauge does not come up immediately after the cold engine being started. The engine acts like I have just changed the oil and I am having to wait an extra long time for the oil pressure to come up. If the oil pressure doesnt come up right away, I'd gun the engine to get the rpm's up and make the Low oil pressure pump get to work and put some oil in the HPOP. Some of the time, that will save me from having to fill the HPOP reservoir.

I think the truck starts initially because there is some oil in the injector lines. When that is gone in 3-5 seconds and the low oil pressure pump is not refilling the HPOP fast enough, the truck wants to die. And it is tough to start again without putting some oil in the pump reservoir.

I could probably jack the back end of the truck up a couple of feet and the low oil pressure pump would probably fill the HPOP while cranking the engine. But it is just easier to fill the HPOP reservoir.

I found a mechanic that said he would fix it. First he put in a HPOP. Then he changed the spring and check ball. Neither helped. Then he changed the LPOP. Problem solved. Truck starts cold parked uphill every time and oil pressure is up in 2 seconds.

Hopefully I have helped you. Feel free to email me Tarheel..

Re: will not start?

mcdlt. Here is why your truck would die after a few seconds when your LPOP was going out.

During initial start or cold start, the high-pressure oil pump receives unfiltered oil from the left side valve lifter oil gallery through the anti-drain back check ball valve. Once the engine starts or during warm engine starts, the check ball closes and the high-pressure oil pump receives filtered oil from the high-pressure oil pump reservoir. The high-pressure oil pump pumps the oil under extremely high pressures 600-3,000 psi through the left and right side high-pressure supply hoses to the high-pressure oil rails (integral to the cylinder heads). Once in the oil rail, the oil is fed to the fuel injector bores through four oil feed galleries drilled and machined in the cylinder head. The high-pressure oil then actuates the fuel injectors.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:48 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I had the same problem in mine, I lost LP oil. I looked at my pump, and it seemed ok, even put a feeler guage on it, the old pump read .045 between the gear teeth, the new pump read .004. even though we thought it might be ok, I had a tech that lives near me tell me that I was that far in it, and that clearance does seem a bit high, so go ahead and change it. I did, and after that, I have not dropped out Oil pressure since. The HPOP pressure does not show up on your dash guage, thats just engine oil pressure. It may be a cracked pick up tube in your pan. sit the truck on level ground, and jack the rear up so the oil will run to the front of the pan, covering the pickup tube. If the truck will crank and run, its your pick up tube. the mount is to one of the main caps, and it will shake enough over time to crack the stock pick up tube. I think the after market ones you can by are better, either that or Ford has made a better design on ones you buy at the dealership. If it is a pickup tube, you have to puill motor to fix it. Not a fun thing, but has to be done nonetheless.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

You can stick a guage on it, like I did mine, to monitor wht the LPOP is putting out. At cold start, I have over 40 PSI, when its at running temp, I have around 15PSI. when I step on it, higher RPMS, (over2000) I see 45 PSI. That is a good running Oil pump I was told.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks Guys, i will put the new melling on it and see what that does. I live in a small town and it will take a few days to get here. I really hope it isn't the pickup tube. i will prpbably change the oil cooler orings since i an under there.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.