Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Alternator wiring problems

10K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jakeman711 
#1 ·
2002 F350 7.3

Bought this from a dealership.
Started having issues batteries being dead, or alternator not functioning correctly. The tacks sometimes would stop working inside, and lights got dim, with the engine still on I could go to the wiring harness coming out of the alternator and wiggle them to get them to get the tacks to function properly.
Sometimes it starts fine, and sometimes there is no juice.

As seen in the picture below somebody before me diked and wired the O/LB wire direct to large wire (B/O) coming out of the alternator with a fusible link built in. When I connected the the O/LB back to the original diked of O/LB, the light tester showed it wasn't hot with engine on. I tried tracing this wire I have no clue exactly where it goes. According to a diagram I found its suppose to link back to battery with a fuse in between.

The G/R wire has an additional wire spliced into it that runs back to my CJB and is rigged in there. I dont know why they had an aditional hot running to fuse box, but when I disconnected the spliced in wire the G/R still showed hot with ignition on.

When I was testing with the wire tester, i tried to wiggle the entire harness and the light tester showed hot the entire time. I couldn't find any frayed wires.
Was wondering if this O/LB wire being wired directly to the large wire, if that would cause the alternator charging system to function? SHould I test for amperage draw? Kind of stuck on what to do.

See less See more
#2 ·
If I were you I would hook everything back up the way it was from the factory. That looks like a mess you have on your hands. You should have your batteries tested too. Bad batteries can cause havoic on the eletrical and charging system. If you have a shorted plate in the battery it is going to cause charging issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.