Someone please help... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Someone please help...

Ok, long story short I bought an 01 f-250 6 speed that had been sitting for 9 months this past October (October 2012). When I bought the truck, the P/O had not started/ran the truck in 9 months. It needed a bell housing, I got one put it in and the truck ran great for 3 days.

I was on the interstate, just cruising along and all of a sudden the truck just died. No weird noises, nothing, just died. I pulled over, turned the key and it fired right up. I shut the truck off once again to check something under the hood, got back in, and it would not fire. It would crank and crank and crank but nothing.

So, I took it to a local shop that works on diesels occasionally, they tried to figure out the problem. 3 weeks later I get a call, saying they have no idea whats wrong and a bill for $635 bucks.

I take the truck to another guy, he tried to get the truck to start on Ether, doesn't work. He says he cannot find the problem either and I get another $500 bill.

Now it has been nearly 3 months since the truck died on me. I talk to a buddy who is into diesels, he tells me to take it to the local "Powerstroke know it all", I get it towed to his shop, and it has been there since January 2013,

-Here is the rundown of everything that has been checked and or replaced since it has been out at the Powerstroke guy.

-IPR
-ICP
-Glow plug relay
-High pressure oil pump
-computer
-fuel pump
-glow plugs
-injectors

The powerstroke guy told me it is only making 330 lbs of fuel pressure and that it needs 470, can someone confirm this for me and/or have any other ideas of why it would not be making full pressure?

-Also, I ran the truck on about 4 gallons of the old diesel that had been sitting in the tank for 8 months, not sure if this would affect anything or not.

-And, 7 of the cylinders show 380 psi, while the last is only at 270-ish psi, not sure what to think about this either.

Last edited by samc243; 04-18-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you have a bad CPS. that, and yes, you have one weak cylinder, but don't worry about it at this point.

If it is only making 330 pounds of oil pressure, you have some serious issues, being all the parts that control that have been replaced. Now, if you are making 330 lbs of fuel pressure, you are going to blow something apart. fuel pressure runs more around the 60 - 100psi range.

Change the cps, you get them at the dealer.. Cheap. And see what happens
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaywrench View Post
you have a bad CPS. that, and yes, you have one weak cylinder, but don't worry about it at this point.

If it is only making 330 pounds of oil pressure, you have some serious issues, being all the parts that control that have been replaced. Now, if you are making 330 lbs of fuel pressure, you are going to blow something apart. fuel pressure runs more around the 60 - 100psi range.

Change the cps, you get them at the dealer.. Cheap. And see what happens
Cam position sensor? Or Crank?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

cps = cam position sensor
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I installed a new one with no luck...
Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Has it had a good scanner that can read all the obd codes done?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

first thing I'd do is pull and clean the FPR screen.....they might be checking the
fuel pressure ahead of it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3l, mechanic, won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.