Metal Flakes!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Metal Flakes!!

While taking a look at my fuel bowl this weekend, I noticed when I took the cover to the FF off, in the minor amount of fuel that was sitting on the top of the FF, I saw some mettalic flakes! Fuel Pump problem? I spoke to another local tech, and he said that running a little ATF in your fuel will help the lower lubricity of the newer fuel. I am assuming that these flakes had to have come somewhere from the fuel system. Anyone have any ideas on where I need to start. Let me add also, that the flakes were only visible when you looked at the fuel a certain way, (like a hologram yunno). Any help would be appreciatted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't worry...

Don't worry, the flakes are a normal occurence. They appear after a while. Not a problem as long as you drain the fuel bowl before changing the filter so the flakes don't get caught in the return line pressure regulator or in the feed to the injectors.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

a little flaking of the fuel heater (normal)....a little wear of the fuel pump (normal....) and there are your flakes! Nothing to worry bout!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Banned

ohhh....and dont use tranny fluid...

use a good fuel treatment that is intended for that purpose....

Stanadyne...diesel kleen...etc are good...

personally i like the stuff from the ford dealer....its 6 bucks and it treats 120 gallons of fuel
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

dont put ATF in your fuel. If anything run 2-stroke oil. 2-stroke oil is meant to be burnt and I run it in most of my tanks, it helps with injector noise a bit and its a nice piece of mind for extra lubricity. ATF is not designed to be burnt in a engine (or at all for that matter) so I would stay clear of ATF in the fuel.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfan99 View Post
dont put ATF in your fuel. If anything run 2-stroke oil. 2-stroke oil is meant to be burnt and I run it in most of my tanks, it helps with injector noise a bit and its a nice piece of mind for extra lubricity. ATF is not designed to be burnt in a engine (or at all for that matter) so I would stay clear of ATF in the fuel.
how much 2stroke do you add to a tank of fuel 30gal?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post
how much 2stroke do you add to a tank of fuel 30gal?
I have ran as little as 1/2oz. per gallon to a max of 1oz. per gallon. I get the oil at Walmart, its basically a gallon of ashless 2-stroke oil it comes in a green or blue gallon container and its pretty cheap. I found a nice funnel that also doubles as a measuring cup so I can measure the oil I put in the tank. Its kind of a pain in the butt to do at the pump (all the measuring and pouring of oil and stuff) but if you have the time to do it its worth it I think. I don't do it every tank, but if time aloows for it I will add the oil.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

i wouldnt run two stroke oil.

Two stroke oil is designed to mix with gasoline...which is a solvent based fuel....

Diesel fuel (with the exception of bio) is NOT a solvent based fuel. Mixing two oils of different weights is all you would be doing......and those oils will tend to seperate and it wont be efficient all of the time....meaning it wont always be mixed.....

commercial grade fuel treatments are made to blend with the fuel.... but thats just my two cents..
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
i wouldnt run two stroke oil.

Two stroke oil is designed to mix with gasoline...which is a solvent based fuel....

Diesel fuel (with the exception of bio) is NOT a solvent based fuel. Mixing two oils of different weights is all you would be doing......and those oils will tend to seperate and it wont be efficient all of the time....meaning it wont always be mixed.....

commercial grade fuel treatments are made to blend with the fuel.... but thats just my two cents..
well what you say makes sence I guess. If the two are meerly 2 oils of different weights and will basically separate then maybe its not worth doing, but I can honestly say that I have noticed a physical sound difference in my truck when I do run it. The truck tends to sound smoother or softer at idle (hard to imagine, I know). I have been running the white bottle PS so my fuel wont gel up on me cuz its been COLD here lately.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfan99 View Post
well what you say makes sence I guess. If the two are meerly 2 oils of different weights and will basically separate then maybe its not worth doing, but I can honestly say that I have noticed a physical sound difference in my truck when I do run it. The truck tends to sound smoother or softer at idle (hard to imagine, I know). I have been running the white bottle PS so my fuel wont gel up on me cuz its been COLD here lately.
and i dont think your gonna hurt anything.....i just dont think your getting the full benifit of what your trying to do either.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.