Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03' 7.3 boggs down while towing over 40mph

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  AquaMan21 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 7.3 F-350. I just purchased this truck 1 month ago, and it has run great. Yesterday I towed a load that was around 7 thousand pounds. As soon as I got the truck to about 40 mph it would bog down and start shaking violently when the truck dropped into 3rd gear.

It would then lose almost all of its power and the check engine light would come on. I had to pull over a few times when I would lose all of my power. The engine would knock and shake very bad for a minute, then sound normal again. So I would drive again and it would happen every time. It got to where when I would lose power, I would just shut off the engine, turn it back on, and the check engine light would be off, and it was normal again until I would hit over 40 and then it would run rough and shake and I would lose power. The truck even shut off on its own a few times.

I finally made it to where I could dump my load, and after dumping, and unhooking the trailer, the truck continued to have problems for about 15 minutes while I dropped off my crew, and then was fine. I drove it around last night and really got on it, and no problems. 0-80 mph just fine. I did the same thing this morning and it went 0-80mph just fine.

I bought this truck to tow with, and will be using it on a daily basis to tow anywhere up to around 10,000 lbs. Unfortunately I won't be able to do this until I figure out this problem. Anyone else have this problem before or have any advice?

The check engine light is no longer on and its running fine. Has new fuel in it, and I changed the oil 2 weeks ago with Mobil diesel 15w- 40. Also has new Injector Pressure regulator and Injector pressure control sensor and harness.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.