Is my turbo going bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Is my turbo going bad?

1997 with 236,000 miles. Has always run great until now. At idle runs good. Bring rpms up to 1800 and then it gets real loud at the stock air intake (very loud) rpms then drop to 1500 as you continue to push accelerator. Then the rpms jump and it sounds normal (loud intake noise gone). This is all when you are not in gear. When you go to accelerate in gear and this happens it feels as if the drive train is binding (struggling) (again with very loud noise at air intake) and this is only for a moment untill you accelerate past it. When you are driving and let off the accelerator (don't hit brakes) and the engine drops to about 1800 rpms its like you have a jake brake (loud at the air intake and you can really feel it slowing down the truck). Does this sound like my turbo is going bad? I have a code reader and no codes are coming up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I'm not sure if the 97's had ebpv's on them, but if they do yours could be sticking so that its holding the engine back. I know that my truck is very loud out the intake when the ebpv is one for engine warm up. One of the tech's should be able to tell ya if that year psd had a ebpv.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EBPV

Yes it does have a ebpv. Would the cold temps also effect the ebpv. Because it has gotten real cold. 5 F.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the samething happen with my 96...A temp. fix is just disconnect the ebpv valve you can see it if climb up into the engine compartment and look under the turbo...I did that in the summer when it was happening but then in the winter I ended up having my turbo pedestal rebuilt for engine warm up and it has worked fine ever since.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have the same problem only i had a code saying my exhaust back pressure sensor was malfunctioning so i replaced it and still have the problem. so is the problem in the pedestal?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:07 PM

It sounds like the ebpv is sticking then. You can also clean the sensor, it should be in the same location as mine is. [IMG][/IMG]Right above the water pump and behind the serp belt.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that doesnt fix it, i just bought a new senor from ford which was a waste of $157
Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Well i can be the cause. Also cleaning the tube to the sensor can help. Man Ford got ya on that part, sorry that didn't work.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

check the resistance of the engine oil temp sensor......its the controll for the valve....make sure its working right.....that will also effect glow plug operation and engine operation...along with the EBPV
Old 02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the glow plugs and everything are working fine, its been realllly cold out and i havent had a problem yet. i really wish i knew exactly what the cause of the problem is because my fuel milage has almost cut in half
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.