New fuel pump, misfired, died no codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New fuel pump, misfired, died no codes

first let me start by saying i dont post often, but i do browse these forums alot and you guys are extremely helpful.

early 99 superduty 7.3 240k miles lost high oil pressure. put in new glow plugs, new valve cover harnesses, replaced injector 0-rings, bought a terminator HPOP 17*(by the way what a heck of a difference), new ICP and IPR, changed cam sensor for giggles and rebuilt the fuel bowl, because it was right there. long cranks and things ive read said low fuel pressure so i added a BB to the FPR and it ran GREAT.

the fuel pump sounded terrible and one day while the wife was driving it, it started dropping cylinders and died.

dropped tank, checked filters, they were clean, reassembled, ran a hose to old fuel pump from gas can and it didnt pump anything. bought a 120 dollar fuel pump from napa, as i am broke after everything i just bought and cant afford 400 bucks for an oem. filled fuel bowl, ran good, long hard starts and fuel pump didnt ever seem to "prime" just straight run for like 30 seconds with key on and was pretty loud for like 50 miles.

then today i said ya know, i should probably pull that BB behind the spring with this new pump. on my way to work running 70mph on the highway, i get to town and started losing cylinders ... and it died. 140 miles after new fuel pump.

i'm so broke and i want love this truck so much, its amazing when it runs. But i cant run my business on this truck, it breaks down like every week. did i smoke the new fuel pump from running too high pressure or what? im at a loss. i just walked 20 miles home. i could use some advice and a little pick me up.

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tried the fuel pump that Napa sells. I believe it is made by Carter. It was loud and didn't last that long. I went with the oem Bosch. You can get them from Riffraff or Diesel Orings for about $150.

I can't see how your increased pressure could have caused the pump to fail. The pump supplies a constant pressure. You need to check your fuel pressure. When you rebuilt the fuel bowl did you also get the FPR rebuild kit? If not there is a seal on the poppet valve that can fail and cause a loss in fuel pressure. Diesel Orings sells the FPR rebuild kit and the fittings you need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel bowl.

My truck was doing a similar thing. I rebuilt the fuel bowl added the fittings and found fuel pressure at 30psi. Rebuilt the FPR and now the truck runs better than it has in a long time.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

apparently i lost prime at 1/4 tank... thats a pisser. it seems my next investment will be a hutch mod which i was trying to avoid... and the suggested FPR kit which i did not rebuild. pulling that BB sure made a difference on the crank times. it amazes me the stuff u cant find at a parts store, and even with a 20% discount u can find cheaper on the internet. thanks for the response though. i just got er done about 20 mins ago. looks like i need to save up a few bucks and buy some stuff from diesel o-rings, which by the way is about the most amazing website for 7.3's ever.

thanks again
paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.