Tps? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tps?

What kind of problems can a bad Throttle Position Sensor cause?, my '02 7.3 PSD will occasionally surge or slow down then return to normal like nothing happened. It'll happen while on cruise or foot and it's not trhowing any codes. Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice and PS, this site is great and informative!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to shoit2ya Send a message via Yahoo to shoit2ya
same problem

I am having the same problem out of my 99! No codes no rhyme or reason....please help, I have already replaced the synchronizer aka., crank pos sensor, didnt help. Could this be excessive water in the fuel?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

Tps

In the ones I've seen, A bad TPS will cause the SES light to come on, and result in weird throttle respones. My buddy had one go out in his truck. Generally, when he would get on it sometimes the truck would idle and you could push the (fuel pedal) and it wouldn't respond, it would just stay at idle even if you pushed it to the floor. But only for short spurts. Truck also can surge sometimes, or the cruise control can quit working as I recall.. Anyway, they're super easy to change out, took us like 15 minutes or so, but check powerstrokeshop if it ends up being your problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 AM

pedal response is ok

The pedal reacts fine, if it starts to "miss" I can throttle up and the prob goes away. Until I am at cruising speed again. Then is starts to "drop out" if you will. Then it will start to "miss" again. I have run about three tanks of fuel through it with the Diesel Power ...911 additive and it makes it a little better. (or it is my mind thinking it is) Then it will act up again. There is NO frequency to the problem, and sometimes it runs perfect. I really appreciate the help and I think this is a WONDERFUL forum.

Chris Cudney
Old 09-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

This sounds unlike a TPS problem to me from my knowledge of them. When was the last time you changed/checked the fuel filter?(Tighten it down good and snug. ) Also, what about your oil change situation? Who changed it and how long ago was it changed? I have heard of oil causing similar problems....sort of a wild azz guess but you never know.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:18 PM

I changed the oil and the level is ok. I will check the filter and I also will drop the fuel tank and clean the pressure regulator. There was a secondary fuel tank in this truck that I removed because the valve was bad so I also will by-pass that and see what happens. There are some other posts on here that say to clean the screen on the filter bowl so I am going to see about that as well. This site rocks
Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

if your truck does alot of highway driving with the cruise set it is common to have the TPS develop a flat spot and it won't always throw a code but you can test the TPS with a scan tool or an ANALOG multi meter
Old 09-14-2006, 01:44 PM

This happens with the cruise as well as the pedal......I guess I should have said that I am truely sorry
Old 09-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

The cruise also? Now it's looking more likely that it is the TPS. If it was me I'd get it scanned to see if it throws a TPS or related code and go from there.

Edit-I see you got it scanned, by the way, TPS are not too expensive if you get them from someone other than the dealer, 10 minute job if all else fails. I hate throwing parts at stuff but it's looking like a good possibility if you can't figure it out.

Last edited by jeshoyt; 09-14-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Opps, guess i should have been a little more clear. the problem is the result of using the cruise alot, the throttle stays in the same area for a long period of time with the cruise set wearing that portion of the CPS more than the rest. Then as the TPS sweeps past that point you get a studder or miss, if you let off or accelerate the problem goes away as soon as the TPS is not in the same position. If I had to guess i would agree that it is the TPS but i would throw an analog meter on it or at least a scanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.