Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99 F450 7.3 just started blowing blue smoke

21K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ID99F450 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum. My 99 F450 just started blowing blue smoke while idling. I wasn't far from home and it didn't seem to run any different so I drove it home. It wasn't blowing any smoke when I got home. I started it the next morning and seemed to be ok. Then I gave it some throttle and it would blow light blue smoke. There's a mother problem I have with power loss while towing but I want to fix the blue smoke first. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
How many miles on it, and is it consuming any oil? If it is, open the fuel filter and see if the fuel is black. If it is, suspect injector o'rings. If not, it could be the turbo. If it's not taking oil, check for codes.

#3 ·
The odometer is stuck at 85000. I think it's around 200,000. The fuel looked pretty clean but the filter was almost black. Changed the filter and ran it for about 20 minutes. Filter was still clean. I'll look into the turbo this weekend. What's a good tuner or computer to get codes without going to a shop or dealership and how much?

#4 ·
Auto Enginuity is said to be the best. $450 w/Ford bundle.

#5 ·
I pulled all the piping into the turbo from the front. Is there suppose to oil in the ends of it? There is also a lot of soot on the back passenger side motor and firewall. Is there a way to upload photos from an iPhone? Thanks for all the help.

#6 ·
That oil is from your CCV. You can do a CCV delete and there will be no more oil. The soot means you have an exhaust leak. Could be as simple as a loose clamp.

One of the apps let's people attach pictures, but I couldn't tell you which. Upload to Photobucket, then link to here.

#7 ·
Your symptoms seem to sound like a loss of boost. This could be an exhaust leak, or a leak in the intake system somewhere (ex. torn CAC boot.) Losing boost will make a truck smoke because in essence the engine is over fueling. An exhaust leak, usually the up pipes, will cause the turbo to turn slower thus reducing boost. That is where I would check if I were you.

#8 ·
Thank you for all the advice. I got laid off shortly before this problem happened so it may be a little while before I can get all the parts I want. I just ordered new inter-cooler boots, but can't bring myself to spend the money on new up pipes. Has anyone had luck just changing the ceramic donuts? Only up pipes I can find for my early 99 are on riffraff diesel and they're 700+. I have a different #8 injector with a build date of 10/98. When did Ford change the injectors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.