oil consumtion went through the roof! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation oil consumtion went through the roof!

Looking for ideas where to start - The truck has had a leak or two since I got it. Mostly oil pan and oil pump (behind balancer). I was planning to pull it down and fix those issues in the spring. Motor also had moderate blowby and you could consider it lightly dusted. The EBPV had never functioned before.

Last week the EBPV suddenly started working and my oil consumption has gone to 1 gallon every three days. The blowby is chugging instead of blowing smoothly and the exhaust seems oily. The leaks have increased some. But, not enough to explain that much oil.

I am planning to disconnect the EBPV this weekend. The truck is still running the same. It seems to be having a little trouble holding temp up.

Does this sound like a total rebuild or possibly just a single cylinder problem? This is not a good time for a total teardown. How do I pull a compression check? Can an injector seal cause this?

Any advice, diagnostic methods information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

the ebp isnt causing your oil consumption, how many miles on this truck
Old 01-31-2008, 08:01 AM

164k miles Also, since I have had it it hasn't been doing any pulling. 90% interstate 70mph or less. I was planning a long term refit for this truck.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkerley View Post
164k miles Also, since I have had it it hasn't been doing any pulling. 90% interstate 70mph or less. I was planning a long term refit for this truck.
the pullin makes no difference , there made to pull, the majority of the time, oil consumption is two things , one the most common being internal injector wear ,and two the o-rings can cause some also, the injectors need to be pulled out , there is a tester , most dealers have them , the tool pressure tests the injectors , if oil runs out the spil spout then the injetor is bad , therefore thats shows the oil consumption , with that mileage i would say thats what your problem is , if its not skipping then compression is probably fine,
Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to locate the procedures for doing the testing and replacement. Also, I have read here on the forums of a DIY injector rebuild and someone that sells them rebuilt. Although, I don't remember who that was right now.

Our local dealership just closed a few months ago and the nearest one that I would take it to is now about 60 miles away. I wish I knew where the techs that worked at mine went.

BTW, would that also have an effect on the amount of or chugging of the blowby?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DIY-Injectors.com
Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 AM

Scuffy

In your previous reply, you mentioned "skipping". Is that the same as a miss? It does have a cold idle miss that goes away after it warms up.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Scuffy

In your previous reply, you mentioned "skipping". Is that the same as a miss? It does have a cold idle miss that goes away after it warms up.
thats exactly what i was getting at, the cold start miss is injectors sticking when cold and very likely the ones missing are the ones causing oil consumption
Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 AM

That is making me feel better about spending $$$$ on injectors. I hate to drop money on the motor only to have it roll belly up shortly thereafter.

But, I am still unclear as to whether or not the injectors can have an effect on the blowby.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
That is making me feel better about spending $$$$ on injectors. I hate to drop money on the motor only to have it roll belly up shortly thereafter.

But, I am still unclear as to whether or not the injectors can have an effect on the blowby.
the only way to know exactly what blow by is would be to run a crankcase pressure test , not hard to do but need correct tools to do it , may want to get that done , ten yu wil know the condition of the engine, i would want to visually watch the test run, so you know your not getting lied to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.