Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Can not find the problem with stalling

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Field Worker 
#1 ·
2000 superduty 250 7.3 313,000 miles on it.

I have issues with the starting in the morning, it seams like it is running on half the cylinders when it does try to start and does not smooth out until it is warmed a bit. The kicker is, as soon as I drive away the CEL comes on, and it stays running but only on a few cylinders and has no power, sometimes I let it go and coast, and it clears up but most of the time I have to drop it in neutral, shut off and restart it while still moving (not fun) and it runs fine for awhile then does it again without warning miles away.(it's like all I am doing is re-setting the PCM) I have noticed that sometimes it will do it when I am coasting a good distance and does clear it self at times.

I have:

Changed glow plugs
valve cover harness (both sides)
GPR
Cleaned IPR
changed IPC
1st Starter changed yesterday (it lasted that long)
cleaned BPS and replaced tube
changed the CPS back to the black one.
Batteries a year old

I just cant seen to trace what the issue is with this, its almost like the injectors drain into the cylinders at night on one side. But it runs very rough until it warms up, could the injectors on a whole bank be sticking?
I still get decent MPG out of it around 18-20 but it is causing a safety issue in traffic when it wants to stop at anytime with out any reason, I ruled out the vlave cover harness as I would think after just changing them and plastic tying them together that it would be a constant issue and not a random one.

Any input would be helpfull

See less See more
#4 ·
Update:

I replaced all the injectors
Again replaced the under valve cover harnesses
New glow plugs
Bent my dipstick tube to a point that I have to cram the stick in.
All on a hot day with no beer around, and 2nd degree sunburn at the waist line.

I pulled codes:

KOEO= P0605, P1781, P0282, P1271

KOER= P0542

Contribution test= P0263

I took the IDM from my 02 PSD and tried it on this one and it did not change anything

I put in a CPS (Grey)= No change

I still get the 1399 code saying IDM module codes detected

Idles bad, but during the contribution test the CEL goes away, but comes back after I shuut down and restart.

I also detected that at times it would drain the battery down like that fast,

My guess is I have a bad wiring harness shorted somewhere

#5 ·
Update:

Did a resistance check at the IDM connector all checked in at 2.7 ohms except cyl #1 which showed nothing.

Pulled valve cover and discovered the wire was off the injector completly.
This was a new UCVH and the clip would not hold it on tight, so I took one from the old set (thicker material) and it held good.

I did a KOEO and the p 1271 now shows up anyone have any ideas.
Contribution test passed

I drove it to work the next day and did not have any problems in the AM, but driving home up the mountain and it cutout twice on me like it was doing prior to changing out the injectors, both times I was accelerating to pass.

Could I be experiencing an IDM headed out?:(

Any help would be appreciated!

Car lots are starting to rubber neck me

#6 ·
Here's what I have on a 1271;

P1271–1278-High To Low Side Open, Cylinders No.1–8

AB6 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCs) P0262, P0265, P0268, P0271, P0274, P0277, P0280, P0283 and P1261-P1268: CHECK FOR SHORT TO B+ OR TO HIGH SIDE IN THE LOW SIDE CIRCUIT

* DTCs P1261-P1268 indicate that the low side circuit is shorted to B+ or the high side circuit between the IDM and the injector. The following table lists the circuits to inspect while performing these pinpoint tests, based o the DTC retrieved during the KOEO On-Demand or Injector Electrical Self Tests.

Cyl. DTC Low Side High Side
1 P1261-P0262 555 (T) 1087 (O)
2 P1262-P0265 556 (W) 878 (PK/Y)
3 P1263-P0268 557 (BR/Y) 1087 (O)
4 P1264-P0271 558 (BR/LB) 878 (PK/Y)
5 P1265-P0274 559 (T/BK) 1087 (O)
6 P1266-P0277 560 (LG/O) 878 (PK/Y)
7 P1267-P0280 561 (T/R) 1087 (O)
8 P1268-P0283 562 (LB) 878 (PK/Y)

* Key on/engine off.
* Disconnect IDM.
* Disconnect both connectors on the bank with the code.
* Measure resistance between the low side and battery positive post, then to high side at the injector valve cover connector. Refer to injector illustration at beginning of this pinpoint test for pin location.

Are both resistance readings less than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
GO to AB7 . REPAIR short in circuits between IDM and injector valve cover connector. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.
AB7 CHECK FOR SHORT INTERNAL TO VALVE COVER

* Key off.
* Install Rotunda Glow Plug Injector Adapter 014-00935 or equivalent to valve cover gasket.
* Measure resistance between high side and low side circuits.

Is resistance less than 2.0 ohms on a cold engine?
Yes No
GO to AB8 . Fault may be intermittent. GO to AB10 .
AB8 CHECK FOR SHORT UNDER VALVE COVER

* Key off.
* Remove valve cover.
* Disconnect injector connector.
* Measure resistance between Rotunda Glow Plug Injector Adapter 014-00935 or equivalent and injector connector on both high and low side circuits.

Is resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
REPLACE injector. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test. GO to AB9 .
AB9 GASKET HARNESS OR UVC SHORT LOW SIDE TO HIGH SIDE

* Remove UVC harness.
* Measure resistance between gasket harness low side and high side circuitry.

Is resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes No
REPLACE gasket harness. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test. REPLACE UVC harness. RERUN Scan Tool Diagnostic Test.
AB10 CHECK FOR INTERMITTENT LOW SIDE SHORT TO B+ OR HIGH SIDE

* Key on/engine off.
* IDM disconnected.
* All four valve cover connectors disconnected.
* Using a digital multimeter and the flex tips supplied with the NGS Tester, measure resistance between the suspect injector low side circuit and battery positive post, then to high side circuit on the IDM connector. Refer to injector illustration at the beginning of this pinpoint test for pin location.
* Grasp the harness close to the suspect injector connector. Wiggle and shake harness while working toward the IDM.

Do either resistance readings ever drop below 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
ISOLATE shorted circuit and REPAIR. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. IDM internal failure. REPLACE IDM.

#7 ·
Thank you NoRalph

What is the low side and high sides? Is this ground for low side?

I checked from the IDM to the injectors and got 2.7 ohm resistance for all of them, I should have checked if any went to ground.

New UCVH are in. The new valve harneses came with a new connector in case the old ones were worn out, but are the wires shielded to the IDM snd cant be spliced in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.