how about a funny story - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wink how about a funny story

i was driving about 45 mph going down broadway when i push the accelerator and nothing. i looked down and it stalled. i bumped it into neutral and turn the key and it cranked but no start. well by the stroke of luck (no pun intended) i was able to steer the big stroker with extra extra wide tires and no powersteering into a gas station and carefully used my 2-3 brake applications i had left. that was the quickest workout i ever had. after she rolled to a stop i put her in park and cranked it again. no start. well i thought it was going to be a real good idea to give her a little does of starting fluid to get her going. i gave it one shot and turned the key and it kinda grumbled at me a bit and fizzled out. well i decided i was going to do the same but give her a big shot. i gave it a 4 sec shot of starting fluid and turned the key. next thing i know the tack is maxed out above and beyond 5000rpm and it held there for about 5-7 seconds. when that happened you couldnt nail a tooth pick in my *** i got so scared. i thought i was going to have a piston laying on the hood. i then tried to turn it over again and now i had no starter and was confident i did some severe damage. when i'd turn the key and get no start the air bag light came on so i let off and pulled my head back cause i didnt want to get rocked in the face with an air bag by any means... i was already having a bad day. so then thinking she was a goner i called good old dad at midnight when he has to wake up at 5 am. he was on his way to get me and i was going to ride my motorcycle home in 40 degree weather. he came and i went to show him how it wouldnt start cranked the key over and fired right up:fawkdance: and believe it or not its runs way better now. it just had to prove me wrong. that truck is just as stubborn as me.. i do have a little bit of a coolant leak now but i can get that lined out and say i got real lucky for bein so stupid. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
im fat and ugly

i bet dad was in a great mood
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM

ah dad always keeps his cool. he wasnt mad one bit. it just made me look like a liar haha.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
im fat and ugly

thats cool, haha, hes alot more level headed than me thats for sure
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM

yeah i'm just like him too. i do him more favors than he does me. i know what caused the stall and corrected it. i just thought this would be a good story to share
Old 01-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've always heard, starting fluid is a no-no for diesels though, I've never heard of anyone damaging anything when they do use it. Might want to find out for next time. Glad you got her up and runnin' !
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM

i think starting fluid should be ok. ether is way more potent than starting fluid right?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad your truck is all right man.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:14 PM

yeah these trucks are a lot tougher than what people give em credit for.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
your probly gona want to change the cam position sensor so she dont die on you like that again.

and starting fluid in a diesel with glow plugs is bad news because the glow plugs can give you a pre detnation and blow your pistons out your oil pan. + your lucky that run away engine didnt scatter all over the place.

hope all goes good from here on for ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.