Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tic, tic? Fuel related?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  harness00 
#1 ·
Is it possible I have a fuel related issue that is making a weird ticking noise , sort of like a noisy lifter that come and goes? Steady state and there is no tick, ask for some fuel when the truck is cold and not fully warmed up and you get a ticking sound. (sort of like the motor was low on oil.) The challenge is that if I stop the truck and open the hood its GONE. It is RPM related.

#7 ·
It's possibly you have a lot of different issues.
From bad CPS and perdel readings, to fuel pressure, air in fuel, high pressure oil delivery issues, injector issue, push rod issue, and many others.

#8 ·
AE says my Perdels look good, the only code is a long standing IDM code that has been floating round forever. Replaced both Valve cover gaskets and harness last week due to a code showing a Injector fault with #5 that cleared up with the new UVCH , checked all push rods ( yup pain in the butt although worth the peace of mind.) Running AE while going down the road I see no missfires when monitoring each cyl while this ping happens, although I sense a lack of power of sorts. I have swapped out CPS, Grey and Black, no difference. Fuel pick up modified last year in a "extreme" hutch mod that I have done to other trucks. Fuel filter replaced, although I must admit I just realized I might want to check the screen between bowl and FPR. Its the Damn Ticking noise that has me, I think I am going to install a gauge on the fuel system this week and see what is going on there. I am more and more suspecting sticking FPR....

#9 ·
Did you figure out what the issue was/is? I have a similar tick on acceleration/high load. But not at low RPM.

#10 ·
what kind of fuel filter are you running

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.