Oil Pan Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pan Leak

I know I have an oil leak where the pan meets the motor on the front main seal. What I'm looking for is a write up or some guideance on the process to repair this my self. I'll be goin on vacation in he next couple of days and plan to try and fix all the problems I have goin on right now with the truck. I'm going to change the ball joints, check and replace all glow plugs(thanks to the auto zone thread--FREEBIE thanks guys),and I wanted to look into get the leak fixed. If anyone can help or show me where to find some info on this I want to try to get all this done next week after Mardi Gras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The correct way to repair a leaking oil pan is to remove the motor and turn it upside down for 18 hours while the special sealant dries, don't think this is what you had in mind. Some folks have worked special sealants and things like JB Weld into the leaking area, most fail because there is no way to get a oil free surface. But I would try this before I paid someone $1500-$2,000 to replace a oil pan gasket.
Hey I know get some of that "Wonder putty" they advertise on TV!! Seriously I would try just about anything before I had my engine pulled.
Good Luck
NCH
Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 PM

ok i did some further investigating and found that its not the oil pan. PHEW!!! anyway i did notice the oil was seaping from behind the lowest pully n the engine. i dont know exactly what it is called. its the one thats right under the fan pully. i have the 7.3 just in case no one knew, but now i need to know what this would entail on repairing it.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 AM

That is the oil pump behind the harmonic balancer. Mine leaks too and I was planning to fix it this spring along with the oil pan. I didn't know about the sealant issues though. Mine looks as though it has been previously attempted and now I think I better understand why it is leaking.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM

ok so i know it is the oil pump leaking what do i need to get to repair the leak. i bought an $80 kit from autozone that consists of:

Flexpro timing cover set TCS 45050

water input wear sleeve
water output front cover right
water pump front cover left
oil injection pump oil pump inlet tube
timing cover oil reservoir

is what i need in there or is anything in there that i need at all. i have the truck torn apart right now and need to know if i need anything else so is not to slow me down anymore. or a write up of how to change what i need to change.

thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 AM

I downloaded the 7.3 manual from a link on these forums a while back and it had the service information listed under special procedures. I searched for it a few minutes ago and didn't find it. Maybe, someone else remembers and can steer you to the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.