No power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question No power

I'm no turbo expert but I'm getting plenty of experance taking mine off and on. I've had this truck sense new ( fall of '98 ) '99 model and have put 224000 miles on it with very little to complain about. A few months back I experanced a loss of power but was able to drive on home at about 60-65.
My problem was a sticking gate valve in the exaust of the turbo. I freed it up and lube it and all was fine for a while. When it lost power again I though I knew where my problem would be so desided to disconnect that valve, but that did not help. Next I took the turbo off and wired the valve open but noticed I had aquired a exaust leak around the y connector where the pipes from the manifold go in. Thinking I had found the problem ( leeky exaust = no boost) I put new gaskets, new pipes, and Y ( I broke the bolts off in the old Y) and put my turbo with the wired open valve back on. Still no power. Drove it another week and the next weekend project was new turbo. Only problem was my 7.3 was a Sept '98 baby and had a small turbo and I opted to change to the larger model used after Dec. '98. Which ment another set of pipes, 1" longer each, another Y new turbo and manofold pipe. Took it all off and it would not fit on the base of the other model even though the bolt patern is the same, new one is 1" taller and the parts failed to know that. So I put the old on again and used it one more week.
Another weekend project and I have it off again and put the new base and all the rest on. Now I'm finely through. But still no power. Cranks fine, runs ok just no power. The code says no boost, but you take the hose off and at 1500-2000 rpm you can hardly hold your hand over the end. How much boost is it suppose to put out? Does any one have any suggestions? I can't even pull a trailor with it and it used to be a strong truck.
These are the Diagnostic codes I'm getting.
P0472 = Exaust back Pres sensor circuit low input.
P1119 = Manifold air temp sensor high input.
P1247 = Turbo boost pres low.
P1248 = Turbo boost pres not detected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You may have a EBP sensor that has gone out of range, or a EBP tube (tube from right exh. manifold to EBP sensor ) clogged. If you have a scanner that can do data stream make sure the EBP, MAP and Baro are all the same key on engine off.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks,
I'll start tomarrow by replacing that. I'll let you know the outcome. Have a great Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I just finished putting on a new EBP sensor along with a new MAP sensor. Still no power and a top speed of about 65-68. HELP. This is killing my fuel milage, (not that there ever was much) and I need to go move my 5th wheel camper/office from south Mississippi to south Florida. Anyone with ideas??
Old 11-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

back to basics, Air/ fuel/ exh. first check to make sure its not a plugged air filter. I have seen airfilters suck shut under full load. Next, fuel pressure. gota burn fuel to make heat to spin the turbo. Low fuel pressure could be due to plugged fuel filter, pump not supplying pressure, inlet restriction (plugged pickup filters in tank). Last, exh. plugged convertor or muffler. A scanner the will show data stream would be a big help.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just got back from Meineke with a new 4" exaust, and it runs like it hasn't in quite a while. Apparently the turbo had gone bad causing it to burn oil which in turn finished pluging an already aging cat. Resulting in great back pressure and no power. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.