Rough running when warm . . . sometimes???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough running when warm . . . sometimes????

Ok guys I have done some reading about this problem but not sure what it is. I have a 2000 F250 4x4 7.3L stick truck 215,000miles. I have the tc 6 position chip, Riff raff Fuel Rail Crossover and Adrenaline hpop, changed all o rings out when did the pump. other than that truck is stock. So this problem has been on and off for some time now. Im not sure but i think it started after i ran out of fuel and might have gotten some bad fuel after that as well. So the problem is ill be driving along and the truck will start to run rough and lose power. I will pull over and let it sit for like 5 min start it back up and sometimes it will be ok but some times it will consist. I just went on a 4hr trip (one way so total of 8 hr of driving) truck did it to me a few times so i put it on the stock position thinking it was the chip. Ran great for 150miles then started to act up again. Pulled over let sit made it whole way home with no problems. So last week i ran the truck with the chip on first performance click and had no issues. But yesterday and today on way to work same problems losing power. So i ordered a fuel pressure gauge so i can watch that.

I have read about a screen in the tank? also i did replace fuel pump (not factory ford, dumb on my part) 2 years ago. ANy ideas what it could be?

thanks kyle

Last edited by Black Rock Trucks; 03-25-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like a fuel issue. Try to find someone in the area that has an AE scanner so you can look at all the numbers. Might very well be a clogged up screen from the time you ran it out of fuel. The odd timing of the issue certain points to crud in the pickup. Have you changed fuel filters lately?

First, change the fuel filter if you haven't done so recently. If that doesn't fix it, remove the chip. Not just a stock setting, but remove it completely. If it is something screwy with the chip, it *could* still be causing issues in the stock setting. About the time you get done doing those, the gauge should have arrived so you can fiddle with that and see if it is a fuel supply problem.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
Sounds like a fuel issue. Try to find someone in the area that has an AE scanner so you can look at all the numbers. Might very well be a clogged up screen from the time you ran it out of fuel. The odd timing of the issue certain points to crud in the pickup. Have you changed fuel filters lately?

First, change the fuel filter if you haven't done so recently. If that doesn't fix it, remove the chip. Not just a stock setting, but remove it completely. If it is something screwy with the chip, it *could* still be causing issues in the stock setting. About the time you get done doing those, the gauge should have arrived so you can fiddle with that and see if it is a fuel supply problem.
Fuel filter was changed when i did all the o rings on the fuel bowel around a year ago so around 12,000miles. Was going to change filter when installing the sensor for the gauge.

I was thinking the same thing with the chip. . . but i just hate driving the truck stock!!! hahaha. I have had a chip go bad on me before and it shut the fuel pump off completely. But with how this thing has been acting im wondering if it is the chip. Ill change filter today and pull chip and see how it runs until the gauge comes in. Thanks !!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 AM

So gauge should be in today. I didn't get a change to change filter or pull computer yet. But drove truck home monday (15miles) no issues, then back to work Tuesday morning, then last night i needed to go pick up some axles. Was a 55mile trip one way. On way there with trailer empty i was getting off exit and it stated to act up. Then cleared up once i got off throttle. Then on ride home with trailer loaded up total weight prob 8000lb. I didn't beat the truck at all, took it easy with no problems on way home. Drove to work this morning no issues at all. Now this is all with the programmer on the first 50hp click. I dont get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.