Smoking Hot GPR ? Help sort this out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoking Hot GPR ? Help sort this out

I just realized I had posted a reply in a Dead Battery Thread for 6.0.
Here goes

BTW when II got back from ford the truck was dead. No battery LIFE at ALL!

Well now what ? I need help bad just to sort this out. Went to Ford picked up 2 Motorcraft 875cc batteries $109 each, 1 Alternator $194. Installed it and ...... connected the NEG first ...
AS I was connecting the second POS I see my Glow Plug Relay is releasing smoke from the connections. I went to touch the cables and they were piping HOT!!!!...A cycling click ///click sound was coming from the GPR . I disconnected both POS terminals and the sound stopped and it cooled down.
Connected and went for a small 4 block drive and stopped at a gas station it was not charging again. Same Battery gauge position 1/4 of the way. Please tell me I should of gotten a Stancor... The Napa GPR was just done by me 2 months ago . Never Napa again....

BTW Fords parts were the best priced and had a 3 yr warranty 100month pro rating after the 3 years....
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Your gpr is shorting out. Replace the GPR and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

stancor 586-903 15v max

just ordered the STANCOR ELECTRONIC 586-903 which is the 15v dc max version
Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~CrazyDiesel~
Actually, i'm not so sure it's the GPR itself. I mean, it's toast now of course, but it's a current handler, right? If the big cables are what are hot as hell, then it's possibly downstream (i.e. towards the GPs) or upstream(towards the control wire) Because (and correct me if i'm wrong please) The little wire/s are what controls the GPR, and if the Ignition is off and the GPR is chattering/smoking.... then it's being activated by something else other than what it's supposed to.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

International GPR

Finally looked online and found an international Dealer. 5 min from were I live must of passed it million times in 30+ years never new it was there. So I picked up a GPR, and it looks just like the one from Napa but its rotated 90 deg but looks like the same. I will be getting my Stancor 15v today and I will carry it every were I go. along with 911 and a fuel filter. Wonder if I charge my old batteries, will they hold. I picked up a battery Tester at autozone . Will check the old alternator there also. As for the problem GONE! everything is back to normal took her for a long drive and when I shut her down and stop for coffee and start her up again, the voltage meter on my dash goes right back to the middle and + one letter. Right smack on M of normal. Before it would take about 2 min even after long runs. So let me keep praying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.