Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Won't Start without ether

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jakeman711 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to forum. Have 01 F-350 7.3L 4x4. 253,000. Try to start, when I turn ignition, tries to turn over but act like the engines locked up. Was told to remove battery cables which I did and it will turn over. Problem solved I thought. Now, it will only start with ether. Once it starts, it misses for several minutes. I see oil or diesel on top of the motor below where the fuel filter is. I also have oil dripping on the passenger side right where the starter is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
:doh: Now it'll only never start again once you use ether.
There's lots you need to do.
First, NEVER use ether on a diesel.
Next, find all the leaks and stop them. Do you know how an HEUI system works? Read - http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bi...ments/114042-how-heui-works-best-convert.html
Now fix the oil leaks if they are to do with the high pressure oil system. That'll cause no start really fast. Same with diesel leaks, especially if none is getting to the injectors.
The oil by the starter is probably the dip stick tube flange, no big deal for now.
Are you sure your batteries are up to starting a diesel? Two 850CCA minimum batteries, that load test good, that have clean terminals and good cables.
I'm assuming by 'remove cables and it will turn over,' I guess you mean turn over by hand?
What temps are you starting in?

#3 ·
I was told to undo all battery cables from batteries and re-connect them. when I do that, the engine will turn over. If I don't undo the battery cables, it's like the motor is locked up, won't turn over. I put new batteries and connectors, no changed. they are 850s. Im in the south, temp 60 degrees outside. When it does start, it misses for about 5 minutes, then straightens out.

#4 ·
Your sir have air in either your HP oil system of your fuel system. From the sounds of it it is the HP oil system. If you have any leaks in the HPOlines or connections then you are going to have the same issue that you are having. Also, you could have a bad oring on an injector, or you could have a oil rail plug that is leaking. You are going to have to get your hands dirty and find out which one it is. Also, NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE ETHER ON AN ENGINE WITH GLOW PLUGS. Hope you didn't crack a ring using that stuff. There are not many things will wreck a 7.3, ether is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.