Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2002 F-550 Starting Problem

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  timmyboy76 
#1 ·
I see so many Threads on this problem. I have a 2002 F-550 If the truck sits for a couple of days it is very hard to start. After about 20 tries it will finally start and run very rough and no power for about 10 minutes. This problem started when is was getting cold out. As low as 30 degrees. If i plug in the block heater it will start even if it sits a couple of days. I check the GPR and the glow plugs they are working fine. The oil level in the reservoir after a couple of days is about 3/4" below the top. any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Injectors sticking. Sounds a lot like my F350. I have changed to synthetic oil and added Archoil friction modifier. It has gotten a little better but still a long way from right. If I do a buzz test while cold I get a few of the injectors buzz a little weak. Same test warm all sound about the same. Figured some day I have injectors in my future.

#4 ·
I checked the ohms on the connector. The glow plugs and GPR is where i started. IT sounds like it would be a problem here because it starts fine if it is plugged in. However if i don't plug it in and it sits when it finally starts it's like it has run out of fuel and stumbles for a while. I was told it might be an injector leaking down or air getting in the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.